Carburetor leaking from multiple places

Mercer

Nov 13, 2013
I have read some of the other threads about leaking carbs but couldn't find anyone with this same issue.

I have a carb that is leaking from the two holes on the part above the bowl (I am not sure what they are called or what they are for) as well as the overflow that comes out the rear.

I followed some of the suggestions being, cleaned the carb, removed the jets and float, and sprayed the holes out with carb cleaner. The float seems to be springing fine and i could see through the jets. I am at a loss on what could be causing so much leakage. would the throttle have anything to do with it? I left it attached because i didn't want to mess anything else up.

Oh and the best part is that the damn thing worked fine until I got the bright idea to clean it. I had to replace my cylinder gasket and helicoil a couple studs as that was my problem in the first place so i figured while i had it torn apart might as well clean the carb.

Can anyone figure what i could have done?

Is the needle that attaches to the float present and in good shape?

You set the float height after cleaning?

If it worked before u cleaned it, you must have altered something in there.

How did u go about cleaning it

I never took off the float the first time i cleaned it. I only took out the two jets and used q-tips and carb cleaner. It leaked after that. So i checked that the floats were loose and tried again. I then took off the floats and checked the needle it appears in good condition but there was a small piece of black rubber inside where the needle goes so i sprayed it out. Still leaked, even got worse.

I'm thinking maybe little pieces of the hose may have gotten inside the carb. I replaced that hose afterward as it was breaking apart.

I guess i could have more trash inside?
I'll take it apart again.

Also I didn't set the float height. Didn't think it would have changed.

time to turn the petcock off and leave it off until this is repaired, before you flood the whole engine.
the carb is already filling with fuel up and out the vents (which should have hoses running down past the bowl connected to them)

small pieces of black rubber sounds like your float needle is shot, the rubber sealing tip is coming undone.

just buy a rebuild kit for around $20 that comes with the float needle/valve.
read the description to be sure it does, not all do.
like this one that clearly shows/lists the float needle/valve...
Carb Rebuild Repair Kit Yamaha YFS200 Blaster 200 88 02 | eBay
i've beed quoted $50+ for just the float needle/valve at 2 dealerships ?

set/check float level before reassembly....
http://www.blasterforum.com/carburetor-138/float-heights-how-adjust-them-50565/

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an update.

So i checked out the needle it looks brand new. I cleaned it off and blew out the fuel supply valve. Fixed the issue.

So I thought it would just fire right up... not the case

Now i'm just frustrated with a blaster that won't blast

Just an update.

So i checked out the needle it looks brand new. I cleaned it off and blew out the fuel supply valve. Fixed the issue.

So I thought it would just fire right up... not the case

Now i'm just frustrated with a blaster that won't blast

like i said above, fuel filling clean up to and out the vents isn't good, you prolly have the bottom end of the engine flooded full, and it'll never start like that.
try a new plug first, if that doesn't work...
time to pull the pipe off, turn the fuel off, hold the throttle wide open, and either kick it till you can't kick anymore, or drag it around the yard in 4th/5th gear a few times while holding the throttle open, to clear the bottom end of the raw fuel laying down in there, reducing the vaccuum and keeping the new air/fuel charge from getting where it needs to go.
drain the pipe while you have it off too.