carb still leaking

mud runner

Jan 19, 2012
leabnon TN
well the carb on my blaster is still leaking and iv done every thing i can think of to fix it and i cant iv cleaned it went through 2 carb kits fixed the float re set the float and changed the bowls any other ideas of what it could do

Carb overflows are caused by,

Incorrect float level.

Needle not mating with seat because of wear, dirt or varnish.

The rubber O ring under the seat cracked or broken.

Leaky float with fuel inside.

Float supporting posts may be ridged, causing float to stick.

Float rubbing against bowl not allowing movement.

Float arm pinching on pivot bar.

If the float level is correct, does the fuel shut off fully when the float is gently lifted with a finger, with the fuel bowl off?

Float height is 20 to 21.5mm.

If so the problem is not with the needle and seat assembly and may be a mechanical problem, like the float sticking.

Last edited:

Incorrect float level.

If the float level is correct, does the fuel shut off fully when the float is gently lifted with a finger, with the fuel bowl off?

Float height is 20 to 21.5mm.

If so the problem is not with the needle and seat assembly and may be a mechanical problem, like the float sticking.

That depends on the carb, find and check your manual for your correct height. Where is the carb leaking form? Does it have a drain plug in the bottom? Is it leaking between the bowl and carb body? I know my carb, when I take the float bowl off, when I put it back together, I have to be very careful to make sure the bowl and body are mated up so that the gasket is sealing them...otherwise the bowl can be fixed at a slightly cocked position and fuel will just pour out of it.

Incorrect float level.

Float height is 20 to 21.5mm. Provided it is a stock carby, I asume that it is as you have not stated otherwise.

Thanks EZR, for bringing the float height to my attention, other carbs do have different settings!

Do some or all of the above and the leaking should stop.

ok i took my carb apart yesterday and the brand new gasket that i put on it a month ago ripped and there was a ton of trash in the bowl

it is your needle and seat. it is the the part where the floats attach. push the small pin holding the floats out and then lift the floats the needle will come with the floats and probably fall off. you can clean the seat with a Qtip and tooth paste. clear that whole area of deris and the put back together. if that doesn't work buy a rebuild kit and replace the needle and seat. the seat comes out with a small retainer screw. cant' miss it

Last edited:
Have you done all the cleaning and adjustments, and it still leaks?

I am pretty confident that the crap is the problem fouling the needle friom closing.

A new carb wont fix a crap problem.

i think im gonna buy a new carb

Don't run off spending money just yet...did you adjust the float heights properly? even tho my manual says 15-17mm, I had to go to 20 to get it to stop leaking. I haven't checked it with a float tool...but at least it isn't leaking anymore. what kind of carb do you have? There are good videos that show checking the float heights and rebuilding carbs...don't give up and buy new, you could run into other nightmares....shoot, take it to a small engine guy or an ATV shop and ask it they can help you....should be cheaper than a new carb.

well i just spent 75 bucks in to the carb about 3 monts ago and it ran great then the float craked so i fixed it and then it started cutting out at 25mph so i deleted the tors and it fixed it and now it leaks when i ride it when it is not running it dosent leak well my dad is fed up wit it he is to the point to where he is gonna put it on craigslist and sell it

it is your needle and seat. it is the the part where the floats attach. push the small pin holding the floats out and then lift the floats the needle will come with the floats and probably fall off. you can clean the seat with a Qtip and tooth paste. clear that whole area of deris and the put back together. if that doesn't work buy a rebuild kit and replace the needle and seat. the seat comes out with a small retainer screw. cant' miss it

and iv aleredly that about 3 or 4 times

Incorrect float level.

Float height is 20 to 21.5mm. Stock carb.

Above are some other problems.

Also is the little wire spring fitting over the float lever tab correctly.

Are you using the new rubber needle with the spring assembly incorporated.

Is the spring free to compress, this is the mechanism which helps to stop flooding whilst in motion.