carb rejetting

89blaster89

Aug 26, 2011
Pacific northwest, washington
ok so awile ago i was having problems with my blaster i thought i heard a knocking at low rpm's but i wasent sure so i made a post about it and everyone told me i was problally running lean so i did a leak down test and didint find any leaks. and i took the head off and i looked at the piston and combustion chamberand cylinder walls, i didint find any prblems there either, the piston and cobustion chamber looked pretty clean there wasent much black build up on anything, and when i wiggled the piston back and forth there bearly any movement. so i then took my carb apart and checked the main jet and it was a 370! WAY to big for my mods. so what im asking is for my mods what jet should i put in i bought 270-300 jet sizes and the needle and eclip was set for the 370 jet so what jet should i put in and what else should i adjust to fit my mods?

everyone told me it was to big of a size for my mods and i did do i plug chop and the whole tip under the plug threads was pretty dark colored

Ok...depending on how dark and how lean vs rich YOU want it to run, you just heretic start stepping down in main sizes. jlsparky just posted a great video of carb jetting on here. he explains the theory of the carb systems really well. 15 mins of your life for peace of mind.

Ok...depending on how dark and how lean vs rich YOU want it to run, you just heretic start stepping down in main sizes. jlsparky just posted a great video of carb jetting on here. he explains the theory of the carb systems really well. 15 mins of your life for peace of mind.

yea i watched it well would would you do should i just throw in a 270 and then startit up and do a plug chop do i need to adjust idle or airscrew or anything

yea i watched it well would would you do should i just throw in a 270 and then startit up and do a plug chop do i need to adjust idle or airscrew or anything

Before you plug chop the idle must be adjusted correctly as any discrepancies will affect the main and needle settings, and will affect the plug chop readings.

Warm up the motor to riding temp and adjust idle.

Do not stuff around with the needle, leave it on the middle clip.

I would prefer to start with a #290 and work down to be on the safe side, a #270 seems a little lean for me.

ok sorry didint see you posted this i sent you pm. so just adjust the idle wile its on and will i need to adjust the clip or anything

First thing is first, get the idle set, don't worry about anything else.

After that, warm up your machine by just cruising around in 3rd and 4th gear. Then depending on what you want to check, plug chop that range on the throttle. If you want to check the needle, run at 1/2-3/4 throttle for a plug chop. That should tell you your needle setting is rich or lean (AWK told me that, I'm not having much luck with it myself). If you want to check your main, WOT for your plug chop. Depending on your readings, that will tell you what you should be changing....if anything. To get a lighter stain, go leaner, to get a darker stain, go richer.

so he didn't drill and tap the hole for the idle air screw? there is a long nipple sticking out beside the mixture screw. it should be filed flat bc it comes cut on an angle then you drill and tap for an idle screw. if not you can adjust it with the cable on the top of the carb. I would suggest starting your jetting no lower than a 290. 270 will be as lean as ya want to go probably

I would think on the side of the carb, here is my 28mm, air screw is to the right and the idle screw is the big brass circle in the middle.
0324121858.jpg

I would think on the side of the carb, here is my 28mm, air screw is to the right and the idle screw is the big brass circle in the middle.
0324121858.jpg

stock blaster carbs dont' come with an idle screw it is on the tors unit. so you have to drill and tap the carb for the screw that comes with the tors delete cable. if this wasn't done you have to use the cable