Carb overflow

dwcth

Apr 27, 2009
finished rebuild today.... which included a good carb cleaning (all jets out and cleaned good)....

when I turned on gas for the first time it started coming out the overflow about a drop a second... so NOT pouring out...

I couldn't wait so I started it anyway... and it stopped coming out the overflow...

I let it idle for 15 minutes then shut it off.... and nothing out of the overflow again...

I played it safe and turned off the gas while it was cooling down...
I waited an hour and turned on gas again and it started dripping out the overflow again.... so my question is....

should I try to adjust the floats??? because i'm pretty sure the seat and needle are clean....

well... I have not hit the throttle yet since i'm just breaking in...... so I dont think the floats are sticking... and it idle's just fine......

I will take it off and try to adjust the float tomorrow.....

yo you probably put the floats back in wrong. i had the exact same problem when i first got my carb and changed the pilot, had something on the wrong side of the floats and tthe floats were pushing on the lever so it would just drain out. open it back up and be sure.

OK... took it off and cleaned the needle and seat again.... plus adjusted the tab on the float...It was out of spec according to the manual...

after turning on the gas it took about 5 minutes but it started leaking again... very slowly... like 5 drops per minute...

So i think i'm going to get a carb rebuild kit and replace the needle and seat..

OK... took it off and cleaned the needle and seat again.... plus adjusted the tab on the float...It was out of spec according to the manual...

after turning on the gas it took about 5 minutes but it started leaking again... very slowly... like 5 drops per minute...

So i think i'm going to get a carb rebuild kit and replace the needle and seat..

Good plan, thats the only thing left to do.

If you have an air compressor blow air through the fuel line into the carb.