Can you paint a atv?

I bought some Krylon Fusion to try out on the gas tank cover plastic the other day.

You'll have to excuse my crappy prep work, I was unable to successfully explain to my 8 year old son why "we need to take so long"...until after

Came out pretty good except that you can see the outline of where the sticker was on the sides.

First wash

DSC05845.jpg

I removed the remaining decals and sanded it down with some 400 grit. Next time I'll use some 200 and see how it feels. I think the 400 grit is too fine to remove the larger scratches and gouges effectively.

DSC05848.jpg

This is after 2 coats

DSC05855.jpg

DSC05856.jpg

You should have started with a 200 or so then jump up to a 400-600 to smooth everything out. You might be kinda dissapointed with how well that paint will hold up since you prep didn't sound very thorough. Looks very good though.

i actually clean stickers and stuff off of my plastics with brake cleaner. works great and i always seem to have some around

You should have started with a 200 or so then jump up to a 400-600 to smooth everything out. You might be kinda dissapointed with how well that paint will hold up since you prep didn't sound very thorough. Looks very good though.

we use scotch brite and 320. 180 is used on a DA to get rid of the deeper scratches. and also you dont want to go to fine with the sand paper cause you want the paint to have a good surface to grip on. anything above 320 is not helping much. now if you're buffing then you want the high grits like 600,800, 1000,1500,2000. and use a good primer too cause it can help fill in alot of those scratches also.

painting plastics is simple
clean
scuff or sand scotchbrite(dry)/320(wet) to your liking
clean again
wipe down with wax/grease remover. alcohol will work fine
primer. wet sand if needed again it will make a world of difference
wash again
wipe down again
paint till desired coverage
clear coat(s)

like I said, my 8 year old just wanted to get to the painting part so I let him have at it after I scuffed up the plastic.

Personally, I would have spent more time on the blaster sticker outline that's visible, but I'll fix that problem with my up and coming pin striper friend ;)

besides, it's a $7 can of Krylon Fusion experiment on the beat up old plastics. They claim no priming needed blah blah blah so I'm curious to see how well it will hold up.

me? I'm spending quite a bit more time on the frame while the kid isn't around. Some pics of that when I'm ready :D

i didnt use primer on mine mine hold up great. i shoulda used finer grit sand paper the only spot were i had bad problems it the very back fender. the gab bar bent and the paint cracked a good bit but i fixed it washed it good and then q tip and paint works good at first the paints was shinder but once it cures u cant tell anymore just make sure u let the paint cure tho other wise it wont hold up at all

Ya I would think that putting primer on the plastic would reduce the adhesion of the krylon since it is specifically designed to paint plastic.

i wasnt talking about that krylon fusion stuff i was talkin real paint. i was giving an example of what we do at our shop when we paint atv plastics which depending on the type of paint you want dosent cost that much.

hey im new to this site ,pretty cool but getin to the point theeres this stuff called bull dog its a primer type coating and you use what ever kind,color, paint you want to use

hey im new to this site ,pretty cool but getin to the point theeres this stuff called bull dog its a primer type coating and you use what ever kind,color, paint you want to use

hmm thats interesting.. where do you get it? we have a introductions section where you can introduce yourself and post some pics of your blasty I:I

look at my sig pic (made by kronik) it just depends on the prep and the paint. if you prep good and use good paint it'll last trust me.

As Rocky said, it depends on the prep. I had nothing but problems. I started off with black plastics that were gouged so I decided to sand it down with progressively higher grit sandpaper then polished it to a shine. I quickly changed that up. I sanded it all down and painted it with automotive paint, 3 base coats and two clear. The rear plastic fell during the curing phase and I had to redo it about 3 times. In the end, it turned out great but about a month later, some parts are starting to chip and welt up. Here are some pics of after the paint. The gas tank and front cover have been painted bayside blue (same color as an R34 Skyline) and the other fenders are black with a flake in the clear coat. I've been riding it hard and through the bush and the paint has lasted longer than I thought. I wouldn't really recommend painting the rims. You could get a really good shine from using brillo/sos pads and that'd look great! I:I

Goodluck!

IMGP0884.jpg

IMGP0885.jpg

IMGP0886.jpg

IMGP0888.jpg

IMGP0891.jpg

IMGP0892.jpg

paint looks wicked awesome corypro. i need to re paint my plasstics and rims since i flipped my fronts and cut my front fenders

Looks pretty good, quick question how do you like the rear tires on the bike in the background, GF's brother has a set lying around that I could use, don't know if I want to get ride of my strykers they hook like mad dogs.

Looks pretty good, quick question how do you like the rear tires on the bike in the background, GF's brother has a set lying around that I could use, don't know if I want to get ride of my strykers they hook like mad dogs.

I couldn't tell ya. That's my brothers Warrior. From what I know, the tires themselves are quite worn down but we do a lot of trail riding and he hasn't complained about them yet. I know he's looking at getting a new set next year so he can ride in sand without getting stuck