Can you hook up a cigarette plug adaptor?

Jul 13, 2011
I'm going to use my phone at a trail gps and speedometer so I want a power supply for the phone. I took an accessory plug and mounted to the fender and tapped into the black and blue wire off the voltage regulator. Yeah.... I fried my phone and my the male cig plug in the process. Anyone have ideas? I was thinking of a small battery. One will fit under the seat. Charge it up and it should run a phone for a day. Will the stock lighting coil recharge the battery?

the only thing i can think of is hook up a voltage reg at radio shack to the head light. one that puts out 5v, and that should work. just know that as the rps go down, the charge will go slower, and vise versa.u might want to put a resistor and capisitor in line to eliminate all the power spikes. and check it with a volt meter to make sure its not abouve 5v

Be careful, the output of the stator is AC voltage, you need to fit a rectifier to convert to DC voltage.

I can already smell the putrid smoke that a printed circuit board lets off when it is fried.

It was probably the voltage spikes that fried the phone , if you want simple , duracell makes a USB style phone charger that runs off AA batteries and it charges pretty fast . I bought a cool hand crank USB charger dynamo for my zombie apocalypse survival cache .
It's pretty sweet , plug it into the phone , start slowly cranking and from a low warning to full charge , it's like 10 minutes of cranking . I found it on eBay , got it for 5.99 and free shipping . What a deal!!!!

It was probably the voltage spikes that fried the phone , if you want simple , duracell makes a USB style phone charger that runs off AA batteries and it charges pretty fast . I bought a cool hand crank USB charger dynamo for my zombie apocalypse survival cache .
It's pretty sweet , plug it into the phone , start slowly cranking and from a low warning to full charge , it's like 10 minutes of cranking . I found it on eBay , got it for 5.99 and free shipping . What a deal!!!!

Zombie Apocalyspe Prepping! Whoop Whoop! Let me know if your still kickin' when it happens! I'll mount up the 450 with all of my heavy weaponry and we can go do some ZombieLand style ass whoopin! lol

I don't want to have to stop and crank to recharge the phone. I think my small battery idea is the most effective solution. Its the cleanest look too. All the wires will be hidden in the bike with a accessory plug visible.

Effective but realistic? If you are gone on a long enough ride that your phone will run out of battery, the hand crank would be a better idea. But by all means, fab a battery into that bad boy!

Zombie Apocalyspe Prepping! Whoop Whoop! Let me know if your still kickin' when it happens! I'll mount up the 450 with all of my heavy weaponry and we can go do some ZombieLand style ass whoopin! lol

Brother , I am down to Pound some Zombie ASS with ya !!!!
I got a few goodies stored up for the ZPOCALYPSE , me and the Shee will roam the earth like omnipotent gods slaying the flesh eaters with extreme prejudice!!!!
Check it out ....
BTW Sorry for the Thread Jack I:I
Heres my trusty glock 22 and my BOOMSTICK!!!!
Saiga 12 semi auto 12 gage shot gun. Pictured with a 5 round magazine , I also have 2 15 round box magazines and a 20 round barrel magazine .
f20ada18.jpg

" He's in the Ass Kickin Business , and Business is Good "

c9110921.jpg

0021c068.jpg

Voltage spikes certainly fried the phone. Reverse voltage spikes!

AC voltage goes through the cycle from positive, to zero, then negative, to zero, then back to positive at a frequency which relates to RPM.

50% of the time the phone would have been getting a shot of reverse voltage, which it could just not handle.

K eep
I t
S imple
S tupid

Just buy extra battery for phone. Or AA powered phone charger. If a full charged phone doesn't last long enough either that's one long ass ride or you got cheap phone.

You would float ground from light coil, add rectifier/regulator and battery for DC from bike. Unless you're adding HID or LED lights, I don't see where it's worth it.

Batteries will be your best friend. Wether it be a "aa" charger" an extra phone battery, or a 12v external battery.

I already have the port plug on the bike. Its not compatible with the a/c current that the bike makes. I wonder if you take a voltage regulator from a bike with a battery and hook it up it should work. It should charge the battery as well if you put one in. I'm going to check on that. I searched radio shack for a a/c to d/c convertor but everything is set up for 110 volts. I'm sure the blaster is making closer to 12 volts a/c. I can find out what exactly its putting out.
I installed an extra storage can on my bike so I don't need that small storage space under the seat. If you cut out one of the ridges this battery will fit in there. I would think this battery would run a phone all weekend.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Last edited by a moderator:
i went to harbor freight and got myself a 5 dollar machete and mounted it on my quad... just in case i run into any zombies out in the woods. everyone i know laughs at me but we'll see whos the last one laughing.

but anyways the duracell charger works pretty good it just drains doubles a's

I have a small battery ordered that will fit snuggly in the storage compartment under the seat. I bet it will run my phone all weekend. I'll get myself a solar powered charger and that will be enough.

Well the cfm box eliminated the storage under the seat. So I mounted the battery in the box, worked fine. I took the machine out yesterday and the cig plug vibrated out of the socket so it wasn't charging. I have to figure a way to keep it secure, perhaps a small set screw.

guys its really easy.

build a separate circuit with a 12v rectifier and a small 12v battery no need for a voltage regulator.

it will charge the battery and provide 12v dc while running.