Cable break caliper locked up (2002) or older

CarsonB

Jun 18, 2014
Illinois
Just got a year 2000 blaster with rebuilt top end, it's my first quad. (Also this is my first forum post so if im doing anything wrong I apologize I assume I'm posting in the right thread ?:) The rear caliper is locking up after I pull it. I've got the cable cleared from the pedal back, the problem is in the caliper mechanism thing. I cleaned it as best as I could with break cleaner and I oiled it. Does anyone know how to take it apart or just any input? I don't wanna pay $150 for a new crappy caliper. Also is there any way to jerry rig the 2003 or older hose break calipers onto the older blasters? I feel like this is really specific but if anyone has any input it would be much appreciated. + I'll take pictures tomorrow, it's at my dads work shop.

Welcome, first i'll say hope your rebuild was broke in properly and leak tested or you could be rebuilding again very soon!! There's another guy on here just got a rebuilt one, barely rode it and has to rebuild again. As for the caliper they are a pita. There is a member on here that builds a custom hydro rear brake and he will surely come along and see this, because I don't think you have the privilege of messaging. There is a wealth of information on here, so just look, search or ask and help will come!!

Reactions: CarsonB and cbaber
I'm sure he broke it in well after he rebuilt it, it runs really well. It has the basic mods done to it too (oil delete, tors delete) Thanks for replying so quick. I was even thinking of buying a cheap hydraulic break for another quad and retro fitting it. Some people go nuts spending $400 of banshee axle parts and the new hydo caliper + the newer footpeg break but I refuse to spend over $200 on this stuff. I'll keep looking

I'm an hour NW of Chicago if you don't mind shipping? I really would rather just have a nice break that I know will work, rather than deal with the cable break seizing up more.

I'm an hour NW of Chicago if you don't mind shipping? I really would rather just have a nice break that I know will work, rather than deal with the cable break seizing up more.

i've shipped way, way, further than chicago :)

Yep he is the man lol. Everybody on here loves his brake setup. BTW if you haven't read up on it yet, leaktesting is about the most important thing to do for your 2 stroke beside having oil in the gas. Do not underestimate its importance!! It will keep your quad and wallet happy!

I'm making a video right now so you guys can hear how it runs? I know the guy that had it last rebuilt it and broke it in well, letting the gaskets warm up and such. He makes most of his money working on mx stuff.

You should still leaktest anytime you get a used 2 stroke and a minimum of twice a year and anytime your having any problems or concerns

i'm "some guy on a forum" LOL

blasty's lookin pretty clean for the $ and it's age.
idle sounds good and returns quickly as it should (no hanging)
and get ready for more whiskey thottle incidents with that twist throttle on there :eek:

I thought about saying awk but I dunno :D I'll make a video showen em off if I get them too so you have a bit of advertising ;)

Looks nice and clean and sounds good. "I think it was leaktested" is not good enough, most people don't know about leaktesting so read up on here about it and build your own tester or get one from AWK

I've got parts to test the compression for leaks, I'll test it before I go out for a ride. I have a bit more parts to order and things to tinker on before its trail ready anyways. Where do you normally find there are leaks?