Building my stock stroke/wildcard ported trail motor

brandoz28

Sep 24, 2009
Iowa
well i promised a splitting cases DIY, Oconnor has the vids for the assembly covered better than I could so here's just how I do things in my basement with limited resources. And some pics of the carnage from the bottom end that I purchased

First here are the "special" tools that I use/will use to do this job. the only one that is very expensive is the tusk crank installer.

snap ring pliers
018.jpg

001.jpg

Beer, however not required, is recommended for a successful assembly

here's the bottom end i started with
002.jpg

Here's where the special tools start paying for themselves
006.jpg

some nasty "goop" on the stator seal, probably was leaking on the PO
009.jpg

and on to more carnage, someone messed this up.
011.jpg

012.jpg

And here's where a chunk of piston decided to make more room in the crank case
023.jpg

and this is common, the bearing came out of the case with the crank instead of the crank coming free, i'll show a fix for that later
025.jpg

Reactions: Whitty21
and the top end goodies, Wildcard ported cylinder and a head that's been rechambered, I assume they did it as well
030.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

The jug needs a couple time serts, i may do a vid on how that's done as well. enjoy the pics!

Reactions: 1bad442
thanks guys, gotta order bearings/seals when i get paid on friday. should be a pretty fun little motor

how did you go about cleaning up the dome?

id guess carb cleaner, and a old tooth brush? new tooth brush?? current tooth brush from the bathroom? lol...
ether way carb cleaner and a bristled brush will work wonders cleaning stuff, when i worked for a guy detailing collector cars, id use carb cleaner and a cheap tooth brush to clean the carbs

good idea, i wasn't sure though. i gotta work on a head here soon so i was wondering.

i used carb cleaner and a brass? wire brush, worked really well. a stiff bristle tooth brush would work too.

i'm gonna clean up the exhaust port and snap some pics sometime soon, i should have my other case/other parts tomorrow.

thanks guys, i think now that i have my work bench put together in the basement it'll be easier to do some of this stuff.

I got more stuff for it yesterday and today, got the other engine case and transmission pieces along with a crankshaft. now i just need to get some misc hardware and some bearings and seals to be able to assemble it

didn't buy a new crank, gonna use one of the stock stroke ones i have laying around here that check out. I have a +4 in the box waiting for me to have a set of cases trenched and port a top end.

plus i got a killer deal on the top end, head, and piston. its ported for a stock stroke, so that's what i'm using. In all honesty this motor is a temporary/future back up for when i build the stroker motor

is there any reason you didn't go with a +3 it really isn't that much more expensive if you bought a new crank.

and yes it is expensive darederek. the crank isn't very expensive but the 200 in engine porting and the larger carb and the better exhaust to handle the new increaced flow is expensive. oh don't forget the new intake boot. so yeah a 140$ crank turns into a grand really quick

what scot said, and I have the stuff for the stock stroke motor so its going together. should rip pretty well for the amount invested.