build and use a leakdown tester

What size is the PVC going into the stock intake boot? 1 inch or 1.25

I just bought 10 more of these over the weekend and can't remember what size, i took an old intake with me and just grabbed what fit without actually looking at the size.
i can tell you that a 1/2" thread to 1/4" barb fitting screws directly into them.
pretty sure i bought 1" pvc coupling to 1/2 thread fitting.
in this pic from my "for sale" thread, thats a 1" - 1-1/8" expansion plug I used to block it off to test it........

2dryyhz.jpg

Reactions: Tdub06
I believe it should be a 1inch pipe for intake side... just wanted to verify
1/8 plug for exhaust side?

1 inch (notice how a 1" freeze plug fits in it nicely)

use a 1 and 1/8 inch expandable freeze plug for the exhaust, or the good ole' rubber under the pipe flange works too (when you have KOR porting, the plug wont stay in there, too smooth and awesome)

1-1/8" expansion plug for the exhaust.
advance auto seems to have a hard time keeping the straight 1-1/8" in stock, so in a pinch i have used 1" to 1-1/8", just gotta crank it tighter to seal.
i have since started ordering the 1-1/8" in sets of 5 from their website.
advance auto dorman part # 570-006.1 (single plug)

great check list. my concern is mostly how hard do you have to pump? i feel like i had a lot of pressure built up, i could hardly pump it up anymore, yet my gauge read 0psi. faulty gauge or did i just not push it enough? i really don't wanna break anything while trying to fix stuff

must have been a faulty gauge!

You could have blown some seals now!

my brothers first gauge was broke, always test your tools before you use them for a job. and hope you didnt blow seals

Reactions: undergroundart
this should be used ANYtime you remove or redo the top end or whole motor or if you are having jetting issues.

Step 1. take your carb or intake boot to homedepot, lowes etc. and head for the PVC fitting isle, and find an end cap with a threaded hole about the right size so that it can be stuffed into the intake and clamped down.

Step 2. go to the air fitting dept and get a brass T, a schrader valve (tire valve) and a low pressure guage 10~20 psi, and 2 barbed fittings, one that fits the 'T' and one that fits the pvc. you may meed a reducer or two. if you are having trouble figureing it out, the guy at the store can hook you up. assemble the pieces into something resembeling the picture. to seal the exhaust port, get a piece of sheet metal, aluminum etc., cut it out about the size of the exhaust manifold, maybe a little bigger, measure the distance between the exhaust studs and drill 2 holes. take some rubber (like an old innertube) and cut out a piece to use as a gasket between the piece of metal and the cylinder.

Step3. pull the exhause manifold off and use it to sandwhich the rubber abd mettal and tighten it up, and install your contraption in the intake boot.

step 4. use a bicycle pump (not the aircompressor!) to pressurize the motor to 7psi and wait 5 minutes. If the airpressure goes down more than 1 psi or so you have an air leak. take an old windex type squirt bottle and put some dish soap and water in it and start squirting the motor, head gasket, base gasket, intake gasket.. and look fo bubbles. if you find bubbles you found your leak. if no bubbles, squirt the seam all the way around where the case halves come together. if still no leaks start taking things apart and checking the main bearing seals. simple.

ld1.jpg

ld2.jpg

ld3.jpg

ld4.jpg

ld5.jpg
Building mine this week

Nice Mark !

Did you test your exhaust plug ?
And what size did you buy ?

Yeah tested exhaust plug. Size Range 1-3/8" - 1-1/2"I also got 2 smaller ones to test the leak tester.

Reactions: Awk08
Yeah tested exhaust plug. Size Range 1-3/8" - 1-1/2"I also got 2 smaller ones to test the leak tester.

hmmmm, that big ha ?
I use 1-1/8" but have recently had to buy 1-1/8" - 1-1/4", when they were out of straight 1-1/8"
good to know the exhaust will except up to the size you used