Brought Home a Busted Blaster

gottaroost

Aug 12, 2011
Howdy:

KeithCellPhonePixThru08-18-2011371.jpg

I replied to a CL ad for a 2006 Blaster today...the guy wanted $900 so I was thinking pretty incredible deal. Then he said, Oh there are a couple of things you should know:::We had been riding it back in February and it suddenly stopped/stalled. He said the first thing he noticed was the kick starter would not budge and he figured the piston is seized. He said he had just bought it from a "mechanic" who told him everything was fine. For whatever reason he was unable to get them to fix it or never tried very hard, likely the used bike risk we all pay.
KeithCellPhonePixThru08-18-2011370.jpg

So I asked what the lowest he would take for it was and he said $600. I drove nearly 2 hours to meet 1/2 way and decided to take on this project. It has some goodies: Razor tires and rims front and rear, Pro Circuit Pipe and Silencer, nerf bars. He said it was upgraded shocks but they are covered so I have not looked yet. Also included the stock tires and rims, the front fenders, brand new chain, both sprockets and spark plug.
KeithCellPhonePixThru08-18-2011373.jpg

It is a little bit dark out right now but the bed of my truck is covered in oil so apparently there is a decent leak...maybe that means it ran out of oil on the bottom end rather than going lean on top. Seems like it would all have leaked out by now since it died in Feb, but maybe our loading it up sloshed whatever was left around.

Anyway, I am having some buyer's remorse because I just picked up a 2001 Blaster the last week for $650 and now I am in these two for $1250. I guess I am hoping to Frankenbike it enough and do an engine swap from the 2001 to the 2006 and have one pretty good bike as a result. I started out with a smaller budget and now seem to be soaring past pretty quickly---yeah, that would be the 2nd Blaster putting me over!!

Other thought is to try and fix the 2006 motor. I have done lots of work on 2-strokes in the past for lots of reasons but never with a seized top end. I sure would welcome any tips on getting the cylinder off without too much additional collateral damage. I am thinking the motors should swap out pretty easily, but the 2001 is all stock so maybe I am setting it up for disaster with the race pipes?

Thanks Awk for the pic posting tips!!

Last edited:
use tinypic or photobucket for uploading pics, then find the "img" code and copy/paste it in your post

and the 01 motor will bolt right into the 06, some small electric differences, but none that cant be overcome
the oil leak in the 06 sounds like maybe a busted case, better get it out and give the bottom cases a good look before doing any top end spending ???

also be sure to rejet or check the jets in the carb to match the mods you have...pipe, ect.

and your gsxr brake parts came in yesterday, gonna try to fab them up over the weekend, brakes are under a week away !!!!!!

Great news on the hydro brake!! I noticed a minute ago that the piston is at the bottom of its stroke and you cannot put it in gear and get any gentle movement.

Also noticed the kick starter has no return spring action and it will go all the way down if you rock it in little half steps, which may mean they put it together incorrectly and I am wondering if something in there is binding the motor. The PO said the mechanic said he had recently gone through the whole motor...that is kind of worrisome. Gonna have to go into it soon and will likely need to move this discussion to the Engine forum when I do.

So, being new here, what do y'all typically pay for a non-working Blaster? I have that good and bad feeling about my deal today.

i paid $700 for my 01 and it blew the second ride out
my sons 99 needed rebuilt top end but had some A/M mods i got for $500

Around my parts you can get a used but running blaster for 800-900 bucks all day. I picked mine up not running(with unknown reason) for 250 bucks. All it needed was a Bore and piston. But that cheap price was because the previousw owner didnt know what was wrong and told me he wanted it gone no matter what. His loss my gain I guess.

I would say you got a good deal.

Added Some Pics

Sounds like you guys got some great deals on Blasters. I'm not feeling the love on my deal yet...time always heals that though!!

Ah the joys of the continental united states up here in alaska pre 02 your looking at least $550 and 03 on up is $1000 to $2000, my girl payed a grand for hers and it needed parts and I payed $1350 for mine and it is pretty pristine both are 05s. And you don't even want to know what they wasn't for a banshee around here...... Stock banshee.. Not easy to find but most on CL go from $2800 - $4000

Ah the joys of the continental united states up here in alaska pre 02 your looking at least $550 and 03 on up is $1000 to $2000, my girl payed a grand for hers and it needed parts and I payed $1350 for mine and it is pretty pristine both are 05s. And you don't even want to know what they wasn't for a banshee around here...... Stock banshee.. Not easy to find but most on CL go from $2800 - $4000

Found a guy selling an older Shee a couple months back but I just had nowhere to store it at the time. Ran ok and all there, he was asking $1000. I take it our pricing down South of you is quite different. But we are currently having a really big sale on stocks in ALL states...ugh.

Also, several of those wide-headed screws that hold the plastics in place are missing. Are these dealer-only parts or has anyone found suitable matches elsewhere---Cycle Gear, or a hardware store maybe?

I used standard M6 x 1.0 bolts with 1/4" washers to replace mine. The phillips heads always round out and make a mess.

Good Point...I guess I was thinking along the lines of aesthetics, but most likely function is the right call of the day.

Yeah I found some hex head bolts at lowes they look alright but the threds don't match so they got lock nuts after I drilled out the old threaded hole I figured the new bolts will always be available and easy to find.

And yeah every body up here in alaska wants an arm and a leg for every thing they sell

You can get M6 button head screws that will look a little nicer

button head screws would look nicer and you can still get them in hex which is far better than phillips.

Only problem I see is that the hex can get all packed with dirt but that's nothing washing the mud off your quad once in a while couldn't cure.

button head screws would look nicer and you can still get them in hex which is far better than phillips.

Only problem I see is that the hex can get all packed with dirt but that's nothing washing the mud off your quad once in a while couldn't cure.

That will be a good reminder to bathe. Are these something that I can get at any hardware store (like Ace down here in TX?) or Home Depot or Lowes? I like the idea of trying to add a little bit of pretty to this ride...of course that is if I ever get it going.