bottom end

curt514630

Feb 21, 2010
madison ohio
well got the top end on the bike and had it going pretty good then while riding it died. tried to kick it and it sounds like marbles in my bottom end. would this be tranny related or crankshaft. if so how hard would it be to change/fix this problem for someone who hasnt done this before. any help would be great.

Reactions: 2000blasternewb
splitting the cases isn't too hard. probably got a bearing or something that went out. any way around it, go ahead and put new crank bearings and seals in it if you're splitting the cases anyway

hey bro sounds to me like u got something loose for sure but before I went and split my cases I would take my clutch cover off and be sure that everything is intact there also check around your stator for loose parts it would suck to split your cases for no reason. Best of luck bro!

hey bro sounds to me like u got something loose for sure but before I went and split my cases I would take my clutch cover off and be sure that everything is intact there also check around your stator for loose parts it would suck to split your cases for no reason. Best of luck bro!

x2!!! you dont want to if you dont have to.. and like said above you may aswell replace the crank seals and bearings and what not while you got her split open! good luck and let us know what you figure out.

alright thanks for the replies any advice on how to split the case so i dont mess nothing up any tricks or dont's, im gonna try to get into it this weekend.

i just did this on mine. it was my first time and took me 12 hours. that might seem like alot but i was very carefull checked everything and then double checked again. i had to replace the hole transmission too. i recomend the tusk case splitter,a flywheel puller, clutch/flywheel holder, good case sealant, and a mallet/ rubber hammer. i wouldnt get the tusk crank installer it didnt work on my crank, not the right threads. there is alot involved in my oppion. oh and get a manual.

Attachments

• PICT0031.jpg
    PICT0031.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 148
  • PICT0036.jpg
    PICT0036.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 155
  • PICT0035.jpg
    PICT0035.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 182
Take the clutch cover off and check for play in the primary gear. If there is any slack in it, it will make a bad racket. I am talking a bout in and out play, there will be a little when you twist it.

I've seen this type of thread a thousand times. I'm the first guy to tell you to go ahead and try it but I have to draw the line at bottom ends. As easy as this may seem, it's not. The manual gives you all of the info you need but unless you've done this a bunch of times and have the proper tools to do this, you have a 50 /50 chance of doing this correctly. Tusk tools are great but I don't use them. I built my own and they are specifically designed to do Blaster engines. Pounding seals in with sockets works but it's not the best way to do it. weiner a seal a few thousands of an inch and it's going to wear prematurely. When that happens, you have an air leak and the inevitable will happen. Pound crank bearings out with a hammer and a punch and the cases are going to distort. The correct way to do a bottom end is to check EVERYTHING. Most of this can be done by eye but the things that really matter can't. Start with the cases. Every engine I've ever built has had the center cases lapped on a 3” granite stone and every one of them needed it. DON'T COUT ON THE BOND TO SEAL THE CASES. I fire people for using rubber mallets and screwdrivers on cases. This is a big no no but this is what you will resort to to split these delicate assemblies. How do you check the new crankshaft you just bought? Do you have bench centers? Probably not. The first rule of a successful two stroke rebuild is to make sure you have an air tight engine. This requires a $400 granite stone, $150 worth of measuring equipment, an assortment of assembly tools and a vacuum gauge. I use a set of V blocks, IOS reregistered from the US Navy to check the run-out of shafts. I f you don't have these tools, you have a 50 / 50 chance of building an engine that will run. If you don't have these tools you have a zero chance of building and engine that will run at it's maximum potential. I build two stroke engines every day and I'll be the first one to tell you that it's not easy or simple. The little things matter. Case in point, how do you install a crank bearing? If you pound them in, you just made a terrible mistake. How do you set the crankshaft into the bearing on the clutch side? Special tools or processes. Why would you do this when any of the builders on this site will do a bottom end assembly for $150 or less and you'll never have a problem? If you're serious about the performance and longevity of your engine, let the pro's do it. DIY coming soon and you'll see what it involves. Sorry for venting...........had a very long day

I wouldn't use a screw driver to split the cases, to likely to mare the sealing surface. But have used a rubber mallot to pop or crack the seal on the cases. Special tools will make this easier and are the better way of doing it. So another words TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!! or a learning experiance.

i think my best bet is to find a used one and try to rebuild this one for kicks if i do it right then ill have a spare i guess thanks for the replies