Bore out or big bore kit???

NewfieBlaster

Jan 10, 2010
AB,Canada
well i was thinking of boreing out my blaster its stock now (66.0mm) how much over stock can i go , yamaha dealer told me it would cost me around $300-400 to get it done not including a piston or rings , but i can get a vito BB kit online 4 $450 and it has every thing needed to work , if i bore it out would i have to rejet and are the BB kits worth it ?????

You can do the Vitos kit with the bigger cylinder for just over what they will charge you to do your stock jug.... go with the Vitos kit... it comes with the proper jet kit for it as well.

We have the Vitos Kits in stock. PM me if your interested, and ill see what i can do to help.

Just have your jug ported. From your question about if you have to rejet or a big bore, your new. Not trying to be a dick, but you may blow it up a couple times by the time you really learn jetting etc. The big bores can go 3 boresizes, the stock blaster cyilinder can go 7 or 8, and is cheaper if you do blow it it. Have it ported, get an old 250r carb and a decent pipe and it wll put a smile on your face.

take it to a local machine shop and have it bored should"nt be more than a hundred bucks then buy a forged piston and jet kit. you wont need to get a bigger carb plus a reed spacer a bigger carb boot and modify the air box tube. just bore it out and rejet you will be much happier with that set up till you are ready to spend big bucks for a big bore and all the extras that you need to make it work

first, to get the cylinder bored, you need the new piston in hand. second, unless it needs to be bored, theres no reason to do it, it will not add power. You should start with a decent pipe. the two biggest gains you will see unless you really want to spend a ton of money is a good pipe and then porting.

first, is there any reason you would need to bore it?if its running fine and you want more pep, go with the previous suggestions. theres really no noticable gain by just boring it out. all your doing is taking away rebuilds in the future you may need. the big bore kit is a diff story. thatll liven it up alot.but if theres really nothing wrong with it, do the porting,pipe and carb.just boring a cyl does nothing for performance.

i agree if u want sme more power start with geting it port and polished good pipe carb mabey some reeds ul be plenty happy with that just pm one of the builders here and get prices find out witch one u wana go with

Thanks 4 the info guys , ya the only thing im missing is a good pipe , the reason 4 askin is that i only had 60-70pis compression , so i toke it apart lol , as 4 jeting , i got lots of jets and know how to do plug chops lol, but still lots of good info

Thanks travis

yeah boring it out doesn't give it any noticible power so I would either get a port and polish then after you have rebuilt the top end a few times get the bb kit when you got nothin left on the stock cylinder

Thanks 4 the info guys , ya the only thing im missing is a good pipe , the reason 4 askin is that i only had 60-70pis compression , so i toke it apart lol , as 4 jeting , i got lots of jets and know how to do plug chops lol, but still lots of good info

Thanks travis

If it is low on commpression it is most likley in need of a freshened up top end. As stated before no gain in just boring it all the way out. There are lots of ways to get power out of the bike. But back to the top end rebuild you will be better off to have a bore done only to the next size over and get a piston and top end gaskets. you will be glad that you didn't bore it all the way out in the future when you are ready to get it ported. The big bore kits are nice if thats the thing you are looking for. What kind of riding do you do on this bike?

i do mostly trail riding , but i do lots of foolin around on hills and sand dunes , hahah and just about anything that we come across when we are riding . but i think ill take the info and just get a rebluid kit and just bore it out 1 size over , and look in to getin a new pipe system thats about the only thing stock left on the bike lol, but its hard to find a good pipe , seems every1 around here (Alberta) only have FMF in stock , so to ebay i go lol

I would say look into the power pro's would be a good one for your bike and riding style. If you want me to I carry alot of the blaster pipes so I can get you some prices on them. Also carry the pistons and the gaskets. Just FYI

As already suggested boring over size is not going to help you out.... A sweet set up is a + 3 mill crank with a stock bore.... Then when you get tired of that, you already have a 60mm crank and then upgrade to a BB kit... Number one thing you have to think about is your budget... No Big bore kit on a stock carb is not going to make much power... It is the complete set up that makes power... Such as pipe, reeds, intake manifold, carb size, and so on.... Just something to think about