Bogging Down

DeJay126

Apr 7, 2012
Leechburg, PA
www.facebook.com
I was having a problem with my blaster idling, and it would take a while for the engine to come back down to idle after high rpms. I rejetted, and cleaned the carb, and the idling problem is fixed, but it still bogs down and won't run right. I'm posting a video of me riding it. Any help would be much appreciated.

What all mods do you have done, and what jetting are you running right now? Sounds like you could be rich on the main jet, but without knowing your current setup and jetting its hard to say for sure.

I cant do a plug chop... im not even able to hit the powerband the way its running noq... bogs out too much... its fine idle when i rev it.. sounds great....but once it goes into gear and i go past half throttle it bogs down

you gotta check what clip position the needle is set at ?
get crackin and report back asap, LOL

should be on the middle clip position

remove cap from carb, pull spring up out of slide, push down on cable, tilt it to allow the retainer to fall out, look how it is in there first, so you know how it goes back in, the cable should pop out of it's slot in there,
carefully, with proper size phillips screwdriver remove the 2 screws you see down in there, remove that piece, push needle up/out from bottom, pay attention to the plastic washer(s) on the needle, see what slot it is on, should be on the middle,
if not......
carefully lay needle flat, then push the needle down onto a flat surface with the clip opening facing down, hold your hand over it while doing it so the clip doesn't end up across the garage, or you lose an eye, LOL
place in the middle clip position and push down onto flat surface to re-seat it
reassemble in reverse procedure

Do you have a picture of this. I'm thinking you're talking about the round cylinder that goes into the top of the carb? The one that you have to line up with the notch in the carbs wall? Anyway, it would be a lot easier if you had a few pics, or a video of it.

Do you have a picture of this. I'm thinking you're talking about the round cylinder that goes into the top of the carb? The one that you have to line up with the notch in the carbs wall? Anyway, it would be a lot easier if you had a few pics, or a video of it.

yes, thats the round cylinder/slide
lemme look for a vid

our one and only jlsparky to the rescue(same carbs as our 1)................

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, I'm watching this video right now, and I've had this carb apart 3 times so far... Im not remembering even seeing a needle jet hanging down from the top of the carb.... LOL maybe it's not even there. Could it have just fallen out the first time I took the carb apart? Or is it screwed in... I just can't remember even seeing that jet at all in there.

Dude, I'm watching this video right now, and I've had this carb apart 3 times so far... Im not remembering even seeing a needle jet hanging down from the top of the carb.... LOL maybe it's not even there. Could it have just fallen out the first time I took the carb apart? Or is it screwed in... I just can't remember even seeing that jet at all in there.

it's possible for the clip to come off and the needle to fall out ???
better have a look, but at least we may be onto sumthin, but fear not,
i have 2 spare stock carbs hangin in the garage

Alright, I'll rip it apart again tomorrow. Slicker and I are setting something up for him to meet me for a leakdown test tomorrow too. I'll take the carb apart tomorrow morning and let you know about the needle jet. If it's on there, I move it to the middle clip right?

Well, I just repositioned the needle jet... it was up one slot from the middle. I moved it to the middle. Then I took it out for a test, and it's still bogging down and wont reach high rpms. It is fine when you sit there and rev the engine in neutral... then once it goes into gear it gets bogged out. I saw the transmission fluid leaking, and stood the quad straight up and down, and looked where it was coming from. It seems to be coming from directly behind the front sprocket somewhere. Where would this leak be, and how can I fix it. Would this be the cause of the bogging, or is there something else going on??