Bodyshopmike 01 Blaster build & upgrade

Bodyshopmike

Jan 13, 2014
Independence, KY
Hello to all of you. I would just like to say I finally joined after creeping around this site for roughly a month. This forum has been a huge help with me getting my project under way.

I recently acquired a 2001 Blaster from a friend of mine. He purchased it new and rode it for less than 50 hrs. before it was put in his parent’s basement. He took it on a trip to an off road park and the second night he was there, someone in his group took it out and ended up wrecking it. My friend claims it never ran right after that and it sat in the basement until I dug it out. Everything on it is stock except for the DG front bumper. I did a visual inspection on what needed to be replaced and started my part list. I wish I had taken pictures of it before I disassembled it buy here is where it’s at now.

Engine:

I ran a compression test on it and could only get 65-67 psi after putting a cap of oil in the cylinder. That is when I started reading on here. I then ended up tearing it down and am in the process of building it back. My first actual call was to Ken O’Connor. I gave him the information I had gathered and he suggested to have it bored and rebuild the top end. Before I did that I took it to a local machine shop and they did a bore measurement. Nothing was out of spec so I decided to not do the bore yet. They ended up giving it a quick hone and I took it home. I am going to port and polish the jug as well with the help of Ken’s video. I ordered a Cometic top end rebuild gasket kit, Yamaha piston rings, cir-clips, Boyesen Reeds, carb rebuild kit, oil-injection block off kit. I will start this rebuild after I get the chassis rolling.

Chassis:

Completely took everything apart except for the stem and handlebars. All the arms, foot rests, pegs, front hubs, backing plates and swingarm have been cleaned, sandblasted, etch primed and are now sitting with 4 coats of sandable primer on them. I decided on replacing the mechanical brakes with hydraulic. I bought the front and rear brake system and right foot peg with brake pedal off a 2003 Blaster. The rear axle was bent so I bought a rear axle from a Banshee. I am now trying to locate a 03-06 rear carrier and skid plate since it was smashed against the sprocket and rotor so I can get it sandblasted and ready for new bearings and paint. I still need to pick up rear hubs, wheels and tires from a Banshee or whatever with a 4x115 pattern.

Other than that, this is where I stand. Any suggestions or comments are welcomed. I will keep in touch with the progress of the project. Here is the list of what I am still searching for if anyone may have something.

03-06 Blaster axle carrier, A/M Exhaust, Handlebars. Hubs, Wheels & Tires with a 4x115 pattern. Rear brake reservoir Just send me a note if you happen to have any or all of these.

Thank you all,

Bodyshopmike

Hello to all of you. I would just like to say I finally joined after creeping around this site for roughly a month. This forum has been a huge help with me getting my project under way.

I recently acquired a 2001 Blaster from a friend of mine. He purchased it new and rode it for less than 50 hrs. before it was put in his parent’s basement. He took it on a trip to an off road park and the second night he was there, someone in his group took it out and ended up wrecking it. My friend claims it never ran right after that and it sat in the basement until I dug it out. Everything on it is stock except for the DG front bumper. I did a visual inspection on what needed to be replaced and started my part list. I wish I had taken pictures of it before I disassembled it buy here is where it’s at now.

Engine:

I ran a compression test on it and could only get 65-67 psi after putting a cap of oil in the cylinder. That is when I started reading on here. I then ended up tearing it down and am in the process of building it back. My first actual call was to Ken O’Connor. I gave him the information I had gathered and he suggested to have it bored and rebuild the top end. Before I did that I took it to a local machine shop and they did a bore measurement. Nothing was out of spec so I decided to not do the bore yet. They ended up giving it a quick hone and I took it home. I am going to port and polish the jug as well with the help of Ken’s video. I ordered a Cometic top end rebuild gasket kit, Yamaha piston rings, cir-clips, Boyesen Reeds, carb rebuild kit, oil-injection block off kit. I will start this rebuild after I get the chassis rolling.

Chassis:

Completely took everything apart except for the stem and handlebars. All the arms, foot rests, pegs, front hubs, backing plates and swingarm have been cleaned, sandblasted, etch primed and are now sitting with 4 coats of sandable primer on them. I decided on replacing the mechanical brakes with hydraulic. I bought the front and rear brake system and right foot peg with brake pedal off a 2003 Blaster. The rear axle was bent so I bought a rear axle from a Banshee. I am now trying to locate a 03-06 rear carrier and skid plate since it was smashed against the sprocket and rotor so I can get it sandblasted and ready for new bearings and paint. I still need to pick up rear hubs, wheels and tires from a Banshee or whatever with a 4x115 pattern.

Other than that, this is where I stand. Any suggestions or comments are welcomed. I will keep in touch with the progress of the project. Here is the list of what I am still searching for if anyone may have something.

03-06 Blaster axle carrier, A/M Exhaust, Handlebars. Hubs, Wheels & Tires with a 4x115 pattern. Rear brake reservoir Just send me a note if you happen to have any or all of these.

Thank you all,

Bodyshopmike
Welcome! Sounds like a great build...this site will be a ton of help to ya. The ppl on here are awesome.

I thank Ken O'Connor for heading me down this path. Between reading posts on this site and watching his videos I have gained a ton of knowledge and just waiting to get rest of the parts to get this old girl back up and running.
Thanks again!! I have to wait to post pictures with another camera because apparently the site can't handle the files from the SLR. Will have them up as soon as the battery charges.

I thank Ken O'Connor for heading me down this path. Between reading posts on this site and watching his videos I have gained a ton of knowledge and just waiting to get rest of the parts to get this old girl back up and running.
Thanks again!! I have to wait to post pictures with another camera because apparently the site can't handle the files from the SLR. Will have them up as soon as the battery charges.
Yeah Ken is very knowledgeable with 2 strokes.
And we love pics!

And here are the pictures
xbizqu.jpg

2a5i5hv.jpg

2dam5o5.jpg

good start if you don't mind my asking how much did it set you back?
Well I believe right now I have roughly $300.00 invested in parts. The Blaster itself was pretty much donated after I told my friend what it was going to cost and he said to just keep it since it was now out of his parents basement. If I have under $600.00 with everything after it's finished I would consider this a "winner winner chicken dinner"!!!

awesome score I too am Blessed with scores right now I have 2 blasters 1 I gotta put crank seals in[ported motor Toomey exhaust]and one in pieces with works shocks[$120 into the pair]and a 98 banshee with fresh motor and fmf piped It needs a clutch[on the way along with other goodies]and I paid $500 for it

awesome score I too am Blessed with scores right now I have 2 blasters 1 I gotta put crank seals in[ported motor Toomey exhaust]and one in pieces with works shocks[$120 into the pair]and a 98 banshee with fresh motor and fmf piped It needs a clutch[on the way along with other goodies]and I paid $500 for it
Very nice!!

Well I believe right now I have roughly $300.00 invested in parts. The Blaster itself was pretty much donated after I told my friend what it was going to cost and he said to just keep it since it was now out of his parents basement. If I have under $600.00 with everything after it's finished I would consider this a "winner winner chicken dinner"!!!

If its anything like mine it will turn into an addiction and Never be finished lol

Are you not painting frame? If so, why? Was "wreck" bad enough to tweek frame? Is that what bent axle?
If this has been sitting for very long, seriously consider replacing crank seals.

Well as far as the frame I am contemplating if I should paint it or not. Like I posted originally the machine has less than 50 hrs on it. The frame is straight as I already took point to point measurements. If I do paint it I believe I am going to go with a deep red metallic. I think I am going to paint all the suspension parts gunmetal gray. By the way I hit a huge score this past week for some parts. Found this young kid in Cambridge City, OH. His name is Jake and has a ton of ATV parts. He buys right priced atv's off of Craigslist and has a couple shops call him when they have a customer needing to dump a blown quad. I will post his contact info tonight when I get home. Got a complete set of gently used Banshee wheels, ITP Holeshot GNCC 20-10x9 tires (at least 90% tread left), rear brake reservoir, rear chain guide and handlebars for $200.00 Then finally found the 03-06 rear carrier I have been searching for Saturday on eBay for $39.00. Should be here no later than Wednesday. Just need to take it and the swing arm to get sandblasted. Will post some pics once I start putting the paint together.