Blaster yz 250 engine

Parteebhoy

Oct 8, 2012
Scotland (Glasgow)
Recently blew my engine on quad n after thinkin about it, it's goin to cost to much to repair so goin to buy a yz 250 bike n put it in quad! Is this a simple move or will swing arm n mounts have to be adjusted? Just lookin for a bit of info n wat I'm expected before a start project cheers

too much to repair a blaster engine vs swapping in a 250 of unknown condition? IMHO, it will cost more to swap that 250 in there than to rebuild the little 200.

Has the biggest size piston in it the now so can't make barrel bigger so will have to buy new 1 or the 240 vito kit plus piston broke inside n has f*cked bottom end so complete rebuild! Could get a yz 250 for about 800 n sell frame from it plus sell my full fmf exhaust n other wee bits so rellly will be better puttin yz in it :) water cooled is better than air cooled so more power :)

Biggest problem is making up a pipe.
If you can design and weld up a pipe you can probably do the rest of the work involved.
The second largest problem is gear ratio. MX bikes have close ratio gearboxes. No fun.
you will be forever stuck with "variations of 3rd", never low or high enough gears.

I suggest you fix your Blaster.
Brand new cylinder: NEW! YAMAHA BLASTER 200 YFS200 CYLINDER PISTON GASKET TOP END KIT SET | eBay

Here is a thread about fixing a holed case with JB Weld, yup, JB Weld.
Do it right and it will hold for a long time. Been running that way for a couple years now.
Not just running, but SCREAMING with over double the hp of a stock Blaster.
Give you plenty of time to look for new cases or bottom end if you don't like this fix.

How about a crank? WISECO BOTTOM END KIT 88-06 YFS200 BLASTER YFS 200 CRANKSHAFT CRANK YAMAHA 89 90 | eBay

Hard to beat that? Fixed right up for $402 and shipping. Oh, and $7 for the JB Weld.
Probably less than $500 will have you running again, with better gears than can ever be found for the MX motor.
As for power? A messed up pipe for the YZ250 motor will make less power than your Blaster motor.
Plus, for less than $100 you can easily get that Blaster 3/4s the power of the YZ250.
Look at my back threads to see how.

What gives me those opinions?
Read the threads below.

Last edited by a moderator:
best knows, with a blaster You can make 3/4 of the power of that 250 with 90% of the oem parts. Those OEM parts are very cheap to buy new aswell.

to make the 250r swap worth it up really must go ALL OUT, There is alot involved. These little 200 aircooled motors can be potent. As for liquid cool means more power, ive ran a dt200 topend with all the liquid cooling gear and id have to say you dont need it. These aircooled motors are the BOMB for working on and fun to modd. As long as jetting is bang on (which is not that hard) the motor will almost never overheat.

just a thought, keep us updated!!!