Blaster won't idle

hawk

Feb 2, 2010
Corinth TX
So I picked up this 03 blaster that would not idle or run perfect thinking it was just needing a carb cleaning. Carb was clean as could be. Jets good and all. The thing is acting like the choke is stuck open because when you pull on it or close it - it makes no difference. Probably a good way to burn up the engine. I probably answered my question, pull the choke (starter plunger) out and figure out wtf is going on with it. Could it also be reeds? I haven't pulled them but looks new from the outside.

Oh and it misfires occasionally also which further leads me to think reeds.

The throttle valve has some black burn on it which is all wrong and it appears the engine is backfiring into the carburator and it has also backfires out the exhaust.

Maybe the flywheel pin in stripped or the stator is out of timing?

Please help

is the bike stock.....meaning no pipe or aftermarket part......you need to make sure the jets in the carb are right for the bike setup or it wont run good and may blow

is the bike stock.....meaning no pipe or aftermarket part......you need to make sure the jets in the carb are right for the bike setup or it wont run good and may blow

Just talked to the previous owner and he installed the FMF Gold exhaust and FMF muffler after the .40 over big bore kit was installed with new reeds.

A new jetting setup is in order?

if he added pipe and never rejetted thats a problem..u will also need a new needle..i have almost the same set up on one of ours..sounds a bit lean to me..on the main and pilot. u said he bored it new pipe and didnt change jets correct? stock carb i assume?

if he added pipe and never rejetted thats a problem..u will also need a new needle..i have almost the same set up on one of ours..sounds a bit lean to me..on the main and pilot. u said he bored it new pipe and didnt change jets correct? stock carb i assume?

Yep here are the numbers off the jets.

Main Jet: 230
Pilot/Idle Jet: 32.5
Needle/Throttle Jet: J225

So I would think it is running lean but pulling the spark plug shows otherwise. It is all wet. I pulled the reeds which where aftermarket and they have no noticeable defects.

What effect would a bad TORS have?

Another thing to mention is that you actually have to pump the throttle to keep it running, you just can't hold it slightly in....

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you are lean if you are running a 230. I'd say try bumping up to around a 260 and see how it runs with that jet in it. The pumping the throttle also leads me to believe you are lean.

yes the 230 is the stock main dont run it with that or it will blow up......go to the dealer or Jets R Us JETSRUS and get a 260-270--280 mains start with the 270 and see how it runs and do a plug chop

yes the 230 is the stock main dont run it with that or it will blow up......go to the dealer or Jets R Us JETSRUS and get a 260-270--280 mains start with the 270 and see how it runs and do a plug chop

Or should I just get the 34MM KIEHIN PJ CARB and not waste any money on the pos stock carb.

BTW - It has the boyeson rad valve which i read was even worse than stock?

i have quite a few jet, u need to do a plug chop as stated. i think u will also need to move the clip on up needle..u can come out to irving and i will hook u up. on hers she has 3mm stroke fmf pipe stock carb and a 300 main..not sure of ur specs but if u tell all mods to motor can get u real close..and or call vitos performance and get a jet kit comes with new needle for carb also..nad if u get a 34mm carb u will also need a new intake boot, and u will still have to jet. ur bike will run fine with stock carb

and if u are running a230 main and ur plug is soaked ur crank seal may be bad. (clutch side) can u tell if it is gas on the plug or oil? does it smoke like a mofo? like its burning oil? like a car with bad rings? and stink? i would say for sure ur jetting is off start with a new plug and a 300 main and go down..it may bog with a 300 then drop down one. keep doing this until its crisp..then u have to adjust the needle clip position..for low to mid response..the idle jet is responsible for cracking it open right off idle. there are a number of issues that could cause ur problem. sorry 4 all the babble..dont worry though it seems over wheliming but its not that bad..dont change more than one thing at a time or u wont know what each change did..

The plug is wet with gas not oil and it smokes like it is getting too much gas (smells like 2stroke oil/gas)

You got me worrying though as it is pretty white/gray but I am using marine 2 stroke oil.

Blastermonkey - sent you a pm

Last edited:
All performance mods that I am aware of.

.40 over big bore kit
PYRAMID REED VALVE (thought it was a boyesen but its a pyramid)
FMF Gold Exhaust
FMF muffler
K&N Air Filter

get the right oil man.
and up the main to a 300 your way to lean.. again lean = KaaaaBOOOM

Will do. Chris in Irving is hookin me up with the main I:I. I also ordered a new oil seal for the crank on clutch side so I have one on hand when I pull mine apart.

Freakin SOB i bought it from is a liar. I just did a compression test and it never went over 70 psi. Top end is ##@$ shot.