blaster smoking really bad

ford18218

Apr 17, 2012
I got a 04 Blaster the other day rode it for about 2 days just messing around then i took it for a long ride saturday and idk if it got to hot or what but i was mudding and ripping around and then took it on straight stretch and opened it up i didnt have it pinned or over reved i just had it in last gear and it started dying and i grabbed clutch to down shift it and it died and wouldnt start back up i changed plug and it started right up but it started smoking so bad and blowing oil out the pipe and it won't go into gear its so hard you have to jam it into gear clutch works though and it still starts first kick great compression i did the test i ripped clutch cover off and checked crank seal it looked to be good had a pin hole in it but i read other forums that for crank seal to be bad it would be pushed out or chewed up could a pin hole make it blow alot of smoke like that it barely has power? Any ideas please i know nothing about it i never had this problem

Yeah any hole in the crank seals that can cause an air leak is no good. i would do a leak down test. IMO sounds like an air leak. did the exhaust and plug smell really bad? not sure what the tranny has to do with unless it was really low on oil maybe from burning it and suffered lack of lubrication.

Ok so a crank seal with a pin hole can cause it to smoke really bad? And yeah it smelt really bad like oil was burning not the usual two stroke smell

it could be as simple as way to much oil mixed in which causes alot of smoking and you said it was shooting oil out the exhuast and smoking badly.. hmmm doesnt sound like tranny problem either. leak down test might be helpful but you may want to ask techy anyhow

sure can if its leaking. do a leakdown test. Dont even try to ride it. check compression. hopefully you didnt damage shift forks , gears and such.

sounds like the oil seal on the clutch side is leaking bad. that would explain the smoke and the oil out the exhaust. also that would explain the shifting problem if all the oil in the tranny is now in the crank chamber. I hope its the seal and not a busted case but you didn't describe anything that would say there is case damage

pull the clutch cover and clutch. and do a leakdown if there is not an obvious problem with the seal. don't be scared to open it up we will walk you through it. you should aso buy a clymers manual. worth every penny if you want to mechanic on it yourself

I have the feeling it's some case damage. Something in the trans may of broke a hole in the case or may of spread the case a little do to misalignment of he gears and shafts. It jus a gut feeling on this.

There wasnt to much mix thats forsure and compression is great i checked that i will do a leak down test i took clutch apart and put it back together it shifted through every gear and they engaged just wouldn't down shift like the plates had gaps even when i pulled the clutch so i guess ill order a new clutch and i use klotz oil in the mix any ideas on what id use if i split case to seal it back up? Thanks for all the replies

Don't worry about splitting the cases UNTILL you find where it's leaking. You MUST do a leak down test wherein you pressurize the cylinder and crankcase @6-7 psi, using soapy water to find the leak. If it is crank seal, replace BOTH. You will need a Blaster flywheelpuller ($15-$20), DO NOT use a 2-3jaw puller or hammer and pry bar.

Search the forum on how to do a leak-down test and what's needed, unless someone posts a linc.

A pin hole in the crank seal will allow enough oil through to cause stinky smoke. It only takes a minute amount of gear oil to foul a plug.

As the seal is rubber, the hole will get bigger as the piston draws air into the crankcase, enough to make the mix lean enough to cause the piston to fry.

Leak down test and change both crank seals.

How do you split the cases like will crank just pull apart or will it take work cause of the bearings to come off the crank or not?

First do a leak down test to see where it is leaking.

If the case is not leaking there is no need to split it.

Crank seals are quite easy to replace, and the only special tool you need is a flywheel puller.

Splitting the case however is a little more complicated and requires another special tool.

I took the head off to find out that the piston skirt was broke on one side i dont know where it is im splitting case any suggestions on what to use to seal it back up once i do it? and i know im gonna need a new crank unless i bought it this way and the guy f*cked me over by not telling me it was broke cause it was a big piece if it went in crank it would have seized

You have to split the cases now, you have to remove all of the bits of piston, remove the bearings, give them a real good clean, inspect and replace if needed.

Inspect the cases for damage, theres prolly going to be some.

How do you split case i got all the screws out like will the bearings just pull apart when i split the case?