blaster shifter welded on

camgarth1

Oct 13, 2013
On my blaster the previous owner welded the shifter lever on the rod and how would i go about removing that? I wanted to remove it so i can split the case cause of metal shavings in the bottom end. Also what kind of tools are needed to split the case?

Lmao! My friend told my bother to do that on the kx 250 we have.The splines were rounded off on the rod so the new shifter wouldn't grip. Can't wait to show him a " real life " example of one of the 1000 reasons why that's a horrible idea.

On how to remove it grinding the welds is all I can think of I'm not an expert on this subject. Maybe a dremel with some kind of a small grinding wheel???

Either way I'm sure fitting a new shifter on the rod will be hard now so if u damage it. I'm sure it will need replacing either way.

use a dremel with a grinding stone and take your time grinding off the PO weld. after awhile take a flat head and gently tap with a hammer on the weld if it doesn't come off then grind more of the weld until you can tap it off.

Lmao! My friend told my bother to do that on the kx 250 we have.The splines were rounded off on the rod so the new shifter wouldn't grip. Can't wait to show him a " real life " example of one of the 1000 reasons why that's a horrible idea.

On how to remove it grinding the welds is all I can think of I'm not an expert on this subject. Maybe a dremel with some kind of a small grinding wheel???

Either way I'm sure fitting a new shifter on the rod will be hard now so if u damage it. I'm sure it will need replacing either way.

the previous owner of the blaster must of been a cheap ass all i ca figure lol he welded that and used random bolts to hold the plastic on and a bunch of oher stuff screwed up.

use a dremel with a grinding stone and take your time grinding off the PO weld. after awhile take a flat head and gently tap with a hammer on the weld if it doesn't come off then grind more of the weld until you can tap it off.

thanks! ill give that a try

my 05 banshee was stolen a few years ago and when I found it and got it back they welded the front sprocket nut to the output shaft, I used a die grinder to cut it all off smooth and then a impact to break it loose after it was all almost off, but try that and worst case just cut the shaft off, if your going into the cases just replace it. its prob stripped out, that's why its been welded, so its guna have to be replaced anyway.

so could i take a hack saw to the rod and cut it right before the shift lever? then i can just hit it with a mallet and pull it out the other side?

I do not like your chances with a hacksaw, the shafts are case hardened and will wear out a blade within a few strokes.

If you do manage to cut it off, remove the burrs and you should be able to pull it out with your bare hand.

use a grinder or something along that line to cut it off, and after that take the clutch case off and it should pull right out, try to avoid hitting things with a hammer.... one miss and youll be buying a case as well, if its stuck then take a piece of wood to hit the end, I just don't like beating on things around thin alum cases, cuz I know how easy it is to get frustrated with this stuff lol and a hammer is one thing you don't want in your hand. good luck let us know if you need anything else.