Blaster revs up! When clutching ;(

YBRider84

Mar 14, 2012
Tulsa OK
Ok mayb u guys have red this b4 but here we go.
This is my first Quad :) ofcourse a 02 Blaster!
I bought it 3 months ago with a bent spindle and carb problems
I paid $300 dlls 4 it. So finally I came out with some cash and I ordered
my pars on eb got the spindle on and the carb kit.
Now it'll start and run my problem is that it will rev up big time when
i clutch it so I have to regulate the clutch in order to maintain the rpms
low ( idle ) Im new to this this is the first time I work on a car
so I don't know what I culd posible done wrong..
Also I noticed that the choke (starter plunger) is missing it don't
have one culd it be the problem??
Please guys give me a hand on this cuz I so sick of this I can't find
the solution to this rev up problem..

if the choke is missing completely, it is sucking air into that port and running very lean, causing the high revving

do not even start it again until you put a choke in it

If the choke assembly is missing from the carb, this could be allowing air into the carb making a lean mixture which could cause it to rev uncontrollably.

Don't run it until it is fixed, serious damage may occur!

Edit::: Ruddy slow keyboard.:D

Ok I think I have to get the choke asse. And put it on I hope that's what the problem is cuz I don't really want to think about new piston and a bore kit :(
I rode it like that yesterday and motor pulls very strong is crazy fast no problem riding as long is on gear..

ride it like that again and go BOOM !!!!!

They ALWAYS run the best just before they blow up. Going from absolute perfect A/F ratio to lean is very slight power loss, however the exhaust temp rises VERY rapidly/dangerously = BOOM X(

So let's make this clear guy$:
1st install a New choke assembly if nothing change
2nd look for air leaks ( I have no idea how to do it :) so any suggestion I will apreciate it)
3rd price a piston ring and a bore job ;( witch I will hate ! But considering that I paid 300 for the quad I think still will be a good deal what do you guys think?
Any ways I'm thought it will be something simple that's why I bought it :( so is my April challenge lol

You need a leak down tester.

PM member "Slickerthanyou" and talk.

The tester he produces is great quality, affordable, and comes with detailed instructions that even a 2 yr old can follow. (no offence meant.)

So let's make this clear guy$:
1st install a New choke assembly if nothing change
2nd look for air leaks ( I have no idea how to do it :) so any suggestion I will apreciate it)
3rd price a piston ring and a bore job ;( witch I will hate ! But considering that I paid 300 for the quad I think still will be a good deal what do you guys think?
Any ways I'm thought it will be something simple that's why I bought it :( so is my April challenge lol

Replace the choke on your carb,compression check to see condition of the top end. Leak down test. Are you still running the oil injection ? If not,make sure the port on the carb is plugged.

Ok let make this clear:

1.- install a new choke assembly, if it still revs up then..

2.- check for air leaks ( I will apreciate if you guys can give me an idea how to do this cuz I have never done it.. ;) I'm sorry like I said I'm new to this. To be honest I was more into tunning Honda cars :). Any ways after checking for leaks if it still doing it

3.- price a piston ring and a bore job. Right MR. Bad luck lol so any other suggestions???

Well considering that I paid 300 dlls for the quad I think I still have a few bucks to dump into but I want to buy and fix what's really needs to be fixed.
Thank you guys I'm glad I joined this forum...

1. Fit new choke assembly.

2.Adjust idle screw and air screw.

If still revving uncontrollably,

3.Do a leak down test.

If you beg, borrow, buy or steal a tester from Slickerthanyou, it comes with full instructions.

Oh wow super helpful I have a better idea of how to do a leak test :)
well I hope is just the choke if not I'll pm slickerty to get one of those testers it will be very handy :) thanks so much guys I ordered a new choke yesterday on eBay so I might get it tonite or tomorrow morning.
Thanks so much guys I'll let you know what happened after I install the choke.

Sorry. Didn't read all the way to the end. All the mis spelling was hurting my head.

:D

Oh wow super helpful I have a better idea of how to do a leak test :)
well I hope is just the choke if not I'll pm slickerty to get one of those testers it will be very handy :) thanks so much guys I ordered a new choke yesterday on eBay so I might get it tonite or tomorrow morning.
Thanks so much guys I'll let you know what happened after I install the choke.

Im interested on how this goes. let us know I:I

Hey guys! I'm back, I'm sorry it took me so long to let know what happened to my lil blaster..
I got the Choke assembly I put it on and put a new filter on and now is runing good :)
not perfec but good.. Is not revin up anymore thanks for all your help guys..
Any ways Ive been thinking about rebuilding the top end, get a new piston and a bore job
cuz I can hear some click click click click click click click click click noise and I'm very sure is in the head... :( it runs good pull strong but that noise I Dont LIKE IT!

Heres hoping that the lean mix caused by the no choke assembly has not caused damage.

Pull the pipe off and get a look up the exhaust port to see if there is any signs of damage to the piston and rings.