Blaster Project No Spark

YZFBlaster

Apr 26, 2009
I bought an older Blaster last night from a friend who needed to make a truck payment for a great price. It sat for a while in his basement, so I changed the oil, cleaned the carb, and put in new gas and a fuel filter. I went to crank it today only to find that I am not getting spark to the plug.
What should I look over/test before I try to replace the coil? Thanks in advance, Austin

check all the wires especially ones going to the coil to see if they are frayed at all i recently had the same problem and welcome to the forum

Thanks for the quick response. The switch is on, and I don't see anywhere for a key to go. Did all Blasters have keys? I am unsure of the year of this one and the VIN was painted over when the frame was painted. All the wires near the coil looked fine, but there are several wires disconnected under the hood. I noticed a set of three wrapped wires that are disconnected under the hood. They are Green, Brown, and black and wrapped together. Also there is a stray black wire separate from those.

Anyone know if the Green/Brown/Black wire combo should go to the key switch? There were no bars, clamps, or plastic cover over the area on the Blaster when I bought it.

Update:: Got spark a few minutes ago. Fooled with the TORS wires for a few minutes and shocked my buddy. Off to get a plug in the morning when the shops open and we'll see if she'll get started.

Last edited:
Well, we have spark at the plug now. Unfortunately, still no crank. I'm about to check the reeds. I am pretty unfamiliar with two strokes, as I haven't owned one since I was 10. The carb floods easily, even after cleaning it twice. Any ideas other than the reeds?

Well, we have spark at the plug now. Unfortunately, still no crank. I'm about to check the reeds. I am pretty unfamiliar with two strokes, as I haven't owned one since I was 10. The carb floods easily, even after cleaning it twice. Any ideas other than the reeds?

Floods like as in over flows out the bowl? if so maybe a new needle and seat?