Blaster dynoed

Jul 13, 2011
I had my Banshee and Blaster dynoed this past Sunday. I am disappointed in the numbers the Blaster put out. I had KOR do my motor 3 years ago and he told me it would make between 35-38 HP. It made 22 rear wheel horse power. I was one size to rich on the main. I haven't changed anything since the original build except for oversized piston. Maybe this is why it will only do 62 mph with 15/38 sprockets and 20" tires.

the probable reason to only pull 22hp is because of the crazy high gearing

how often to you top out trail riding? we only had 1-3 trails i could top out on normal riding

The HP number that was given to you was most likely @ the crank.
Gearing can also influence rpm that has an effect on rwhp dyno numbers. Chain size and type...o-ring or not, can also lower numbers. So can bad wheel bearings, dragging brakes and wrong tire pressure.

just for the record, a guy in oregon called ken to report he dyno'd @ 28 hp.
just by following kens youtube porting videos with a dremel(which is not even close what ken does for his customers)

what carb/jetting, pipe, and intake/filter, current compression, and fuel ?

what did the banshee do ?

Who did the dyno testing? What gear did you dyno in? There are soooo many factors that can drop rwhp. Gearing, tire size, stretched chain. There is just too many to list.

Last edited:
My blaster with stock jug, dmc pipe, uni filter w/o lid was followed by a car. I hit 62 with alot of twist left. Bad tires and high winds scared me from going any faster.

Your build was 3 years old. What is your compression at?

Tires alone especialy knobbys have a big effect on the dyno. Just like everyone else said, there are allot of variables. Tires, bearings, chain, compression, timing, gearing etc.. I am interested as to what your compression is and what tires you used.

"its all about 'top speed' guys"
who cares about trails, as long as i can beat my friends 400ex on the road

im sure you can find a line similar to that somewhere on the forum, not exactly from this guys, but from others than try to get more speed and complain when they only hit 62mph

Reactions: rich1

im sure you can find a line similar to that somewhere on the forum, not exactly from this guys, but from others than try to get more speed and complain when they only hit 62mph
im not sure why anyone in the right mind would want to go more than 60mph on a blaster. ive hit 58mph on mine and i thought i was going to die!

Going to have to get more than 62 mph to beat a Honda 400x mine shows 70 mph on my GPS . The trans ratios on the newer one give it more top end.

Same her brotha.
Prime example here, skip to 6:00 and thsn tell me how much more horsepower and gearing you need
Yamaha Blaster Ripping Hard:

so this is making me question what you guys consider tight.

tight trails to me are a lot of turns and swerves for trees and roots, i only ever hit 50mph on a couple trails.

by this video, tight must mean to you wide open trails that are half a mile long.

that just what i have gathered... not trying to offend you, but that straight trail would be easy

Reactions: DeJay1206
A trail bike with 35hp SHOULD be pulling around 65-70mph. With any less top speed than that, you'd have too much power for the woods, especially with appropriate tires. For the majority of the time, 1st and 2nd would be useless. To put it in perspective, a 250R makes 28-30hp stock. That's a 70mph machine that does pretty well in the woods.

A 35hp Blaster should be hitting around 65-70mph for a good trail setup.

At the end of the day, I always find myself needing more power. 35 is nowhere enough for me. But hey, as long as we aren't buying, who are we to question?

I'm with herp on the tight trails thing. When you're having to feather the clutch to even stay running in trails, that's when you're tight.