Blaster build about to start

blasterboy32

Jan 9, 2012
harrisburg, pennsylvania
I have a 97 blaster. Im noticing that its just getting pretty beat up. A lot of paint is missing and there is quite a bit of rust. this weekend im going to start stripping it down to bare frame. I plan on gusseting the frame then having it along with the a arms,nerf bars and swing arm powdercoated. I plan on painting alot of other things like the stem,wheels,caliper maybe shocks and who knows what else. At this point im not planning on doing any more work to the engine as it already has a vitos 240 BBK and porting and head mod done. That plan may change. Also plan on building a new grab bar for it and am also recovering the seat. I plan on replacing all bearings and bushings including swingarm bearings, a arms and axle bearings and extending the stem probably +2. Im going to get full skid plates to help protect my nice frame and a arms. If i come across a banshee axle or banshee shocks along the way i may upgrade those too. Im probably going to just work things out as i go on this build. Are there anythings that i have missed/overlooked that i should definatly do/upgrade while i have the bike torn apart? What would be a sick color combo to do in your opinion? i want it to be unique. heres pics of how it looks now

Attachments

• hdfgd.jpg
    hdfgd.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 254
  • hgffffx.jpg
    hgffffx.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 249
  • hdfhst.jpg
    hdfhst.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 261
  • hdsf.jpg
    hdsf.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 262
  • hfdgsd.jpg
    hfdgsd.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 241
also how could i fix this dent in the bumper? i dont want to powdercoat the frame and have it look like crap. should i weld a piece of sheetmetal in there then bondo it?

Attachments

• mailhgfh.jpg
    mailhgfh.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 204
also how could i fix this dent in the bumper? i dont want to powdercoat the frame and have it look like crap. should i weld a piece of sheetmetal in there then bondo it?

Why not just get an aftermarket bumper. The stock one is shameful looking. But if you want to keep it and have to get rid of the dent I wouldnt try to weld anything to it. Problobly the best bet is to use jb weld as filler and then some bondo to sand it out.

Definatly not welded bro. Should be two bolts going in at an angle near the bottom and one or two up by the top where that black yamaha plastic thing is.

OK. Ill check I never really looked into it until now. I never saw any bolts before though. That's why I thought that just that front piece of pipe that acts as a bumper is welded to the two other pieces. But I guess those are the parts that unbolted with it

OK. Ill check I never really looked into it until now. I never saw any bolts before though. That's why I thought that just that front piece of pipe that acts as a bumper is welded to the two other pieces. But I guess those are the parts that unbolted with it

Yep it should just unbolt right off. Im not reinstalling it on mine after I'm done with the build. And prolly wont run a bumper at all until I run across a good deal on a aftermarket one.

yup, that bumper will unbolt no problem.

I would definitely not bondo it though, because if you do, it'll come out as soon as you hit something.

I think that the stock bumper is hideous, I would look into an aftermarket one

Yeah quadrus your right i seen it on cl to...... How much did ya get it for? An i would look far a polished front bumper on ebay

If you have the tools, here is how I would fix the bumper. Doing simular to fixing dented pipes, plug/cap both ends with one end having a way to supply compressed air at a steady rate. You would want to start with 10-15 lbs, heat dent with oxy torch and air pressure will push will push dent out. Work slowly, you don't want to much heat or pressure else you will have a plasma bomb.

so far today i got the foot pegs,heel guards,rear plastics,carb,head pipe,silencer,swingarm,carrier,axle,and shocks taken off. I didnt unbolt the carrier from the swing arm yet. im gonna do that and try to get the motor pulled by the end of the night. Tomorrow ill hopefully get the front end torn down and then ill just have the little things like bars,cables wiring etc. Heres a link to pics of the blaster before i started and some i took today

http://s1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj504/blasterboy32/1997 yamaha blaster/

Attachments

• tear9.jpg
    tear9.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 217
wow thats the fastest ive ever pulled a motor AND wiring out of a quad. I guess thats cause im use to working on 4 strokes. anyway i got the motor out,the wiring,rear brake and half of the front brake system. How do i get the cables off of the drums? I disconnected it where the one cable turns into 2 but dont know how to get each individual cable off.:-/ I should have the A-arms,shocks,front brakes and steering taken apart by mid day tomorrow and the carrier and axle seperated from the swing arm then its time to start prepping for paint:)

Attachments

• tear10.jpg
    tear10.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 210
  • tear11.jpg
    tear11.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 200
  • tear12.jpg
    tear12.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 194
Got the quad stripped down to bare frame but still have to get the a arms off the spindles which shouldn't be too hard but then have to get the tie rods off the spindles which might take some time. I still have to get sprocket,disk,carrier and axle taken apart but I'm Haveing trouble getting the hubs off. Is there any trick to this? Otherwise ill have to go to a shop and have them try with an impact gun because my compressor wont power one to its full potential