• Engine rebuild

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • Engine swap

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Blaster-kenny

Nov 30, 2015
Cda Idaho
I have a 2002 blaster I baught a few weeks ago. It had sat for 6 years. I cleaned the carb. Added new fuel lines and filter along with oil change. I eliminated the oil injection. I am mixing non ethanol premium fuel with oil at 40 to 1 ratio. I've rode it for a couple weeks without a hiccup. Friday the engine seized. I took it apart and it looks like the piston skirt broke off. Prices have been jammed in the crank. No obvious affects to the cylinder. I want to rebuild for more power and reliability. I'm on a slim budget. But I'd like to do the rite thing to get riding again. And be the most cost effective. 3 options I see that I have. Build up a new blaster engine. Get a used yz250 or I might be able to get my hands on a yz 490. What should I do?

I have a 2002 blaster I baught a few weeks ago. It had sat for 6 years. I cleaned the carb. Added new fuel lines and filter along with oil change. I eliminated the oil injection. I am mixing non ethanol premium fuel with oil at 40 to 1 ratio. I've rode it for a couple weeks without a hiccup. Friday the engine seized. I took it apart and it looks like the piston skirt broke off. Prices have been jammed in the crank. No obvious affects to the cylinder. I want to rebuild for more power and reliability. I'm on a slim budget. But I'd like to do the rite thing to get riding again. And be the most cost effective. 3 options I see that I have. Build up a new blaster engine. Get a used yz250 or I might be able to get my hands on a yz 490. What should I do?
You could rebuild the motor,which to do it right is not cheap.what your best bet is if you wanna go fast do a engine swap just minor fab and it should bolt right in and double your power.

Reactions: Blaster-kenny
Rebuild. It's fun & you'll learn more.
Thanks guys. I think I might do the swap. I've got a 490 i might do some traiding for. I might be able to get an older yz 250. Fabricating is no big deal I don't mind rebuilding engines either. But it seams like the swap is the better way to go. Does anyone have experience with the 490 engine in a blaster.

I would re-build the stock motor. You can get plenty of power out of the stock engine . Engine swaps are cool if they get finished and are done right. But in the end it will be cheaper to build the stock motor

Thanks guys. I think I might do the swap. I've got a 490 i might do some traiding for. I might be able to get an older yz 250. Fabricating is no big deal I don't mind rebuilding engines either. But it seams like the swap is the better way to go. Does anyone have experience with the 490 engine in a blaster.

Check member Pauli B. , he did a 490 swap.
Those that say swap, I'll bet a buck, have never done it. Looks good on paper, setting the engine is easy. Making a pipe fit is the hard part.

Reactions: bansheedave
Check member Pauli B. , he did a 490 swap.
Those that say swap, I'll bet a buck, have never done it. Looks good on paper, setting the engine is easy. Making a pipe fit is the hard part.

Yea from what I've heard the pipe is the hard part. But if that's the hardest part then it shouldn't be too bad.

Well if you trading for the 490 I would do it more money in the pocket

You could rebuild the motor,which to do it right is not cheap.what your best bet is if you wanna go fast do a engine swap just minor fab and it should bolt right in and double your power.
What experience do you have about swapping vs. rebuilding? minor fab work is not the right way of doing a swap.
its the cheap, fast and deadly way.

IMHO I would not want a 490 to rip out of the frame and injure me because i wanted something "faster" than a rebuild.

Look for the swap threads and check the dates. LMK if they took less than a week from first post date to last and i will eat my words
There is a swap going on right now that started months before you joined and i dont even think the motor is mounted yet because they are doing it right
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/yz250-blaster-build-log.62217/page-7

What experience do you have about swapping vs. rebuilding? minor fab work is not the right way of doing a swap.
its the cheap, fast and deadly way.

IMHO I would not want a 490 to rip out of the frame and injure me because i wanted something "faster" than a rebuild.

Look for the swap threads and check the dates. LMK if they took less than a week from first post date to last and i will eat my words
There is a swap going on right now that started months before you joined and i dont even think the motor is mounted yet because they are doing it right
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/yz250-blaster-build-log.62217/page-7
Welding and fabing isn't difficult. I enjoy it. I can rebuilt the motor easily. It's just the money I'd have to spend in the stock blaster motor to get the power I'm looking for. The 490 is more or less free allowing me to put money towards the 490 build. I haven't decided yet..... I appreciate all of the input on this forum to help me make my decision and move forward with the project.

Welding and fabing isn't difficult. I enjoy it. I can rebuilt the motor easily. It's just the money I'd have to spend in the stock blaster motor to get the power I'm looking for. The 490 is more or less free allowing me to put money towards the 490 build. I haven't decided yet..... I appreciate all of the input on this forum to help me make my decision and move forward with the project.[/QUOTE

After looking through the engine. I'm going to buy a wisco piston and leave it at that for now. Hopefully the new lighter piston will give it better throttle response.

Welding and fabing isn't difficult. I enjoy it. I can rebuilt the motor easily. It's just the money I'd have to spend in the stock blaster motor to get the power I'm looking for. The 490 is more or less free allowing me to put money towards the 490 build. I haven't decided yet..... I appreciate all of the input on this forum to help me make my decision and move forward with the project.
Yz490 engines are prone to detonation..
head design...
just saying