best engine to put in a blaster

Dan Thompson

Dec 25, 2010
Durham, UK
Hi there im going to make a hybrid blaster in my next break, i have a frame and everything going to power coat it to any good colours? and what would be the best engine to put in?

those swaps are also awesome. the easiest would be a dt200, it almost bolts in, but you get water cooling and a powervalve

From what I have heard the DT200 head can mount right up to the blaster cases? There are a heck of a lot of blasters in the states, curious that some repop manufacturer hasn't just made a bolt on kit for this, too expensive maybe... maybe just infeasible... some legal reason?

i heard somewhere the KX motors were the easiest to swap, sumthin about the output shaft lining up the best so i didnt have to be offset to one side ?????????????

I vote for a CR500 motor.. just because I don't think I can do it and it would haul arse..

A kdx engine would be reliable,liquid cooled,has a power valve,are plentiful and parts are readily availible.plus they start off at 37hp and are smaller than blaster stock engines.atleast the 200-220's are.

don't like your blaster powerplant? lookin for more power it sounds like, a lot more, take a lota time and sometimes a lotta money to make hybrids work in anything, quad, sled, bike, jet ski, seen em all over and over, moral of every story is you gotta love fabricating or love paying someone to fabricate, let us know what you end up getting, i love seeing huge motors stuffed in blasters

i love my blaster power plant and everything about them, but i also love fabricating so i want to put somehting else in my blaster :) haha

heard the 490s had issue with cracking the cases and breaking 2nd gear. maybe look into a 250cc engine.
or maybe you could stuff a new 450cc engine into there?

good luck finding a DT200 motor

the top end you might find, but the water pump is specific to that bike and you can no longer get OEM parts for it..

plus the OEM parts you can get, you have to go through canada

i literally think i bought the last DT motor that will pop up in awhile... and its not cheap, a running one run can fetch 1100+

plus you need the wiring for it... and 80 percent of the powervalve servo motors are bad... and there not made anymore

i heard somewhere the KX motors were the easiest to swap, sumthin about the output shaft lining up the best so i didnt have to be offset to one side ?????????????

the original owner of my blaster had put a KX motor in the bike then went back to stock; bc he blew up the KX. i was so close to buying the motor off him and didnt, been kickin myself ever since:/