Best advice on rebuild with big bore.

Discussion in 'Engine Mods and Swaps' started by 06BlackNpurple, Oct 31, 2018.

1. 06BlackNpurple

06BlackNpurple New Member

Hello I have an 06 blaster. Was putting around the yard and the piston skirt broke resulting in a locked up crank. I am going to tear it all down and do a full bottom end rebuild along with a big bore kit.

It's not my first top end rebuild but I've never redone the bottom end on anything. I need advice on what parts are known to be better or tried and true. Was considering a hot rod stock spec crank and bottom end kit. Also a vitos 240 kit with a cast piston. The forged piston kit is unavailable.

2. Larry's Shee

Larry's Shee Active Member

Unemployed carpenter
    Cost difference between the Hot Rod and Vito's 3mil isn't much, and you need it to actually have a 240.
    I've had a 3mil for several years now problems. Only know of one failure on here that was most likely opperator error.

Send the head to http://www.kenoconnorracing.com and get it re-chambered

Awk08 likes this.
  3. 06BlackNpurple

So send the new vitos head to Ken o conner? I'm really not sure I want to throw a ton of work into it. I want it in good condition and of course reliable so I don't plan to take shortcuts but it's just a decent blaster for my and my wife to ride so I don't really plan on making it a huge build

4. Larry's Shee

Larry's Shee Active Member

Unemployed carpenter
    My post should have said "no problems"
    Why Vito copied the stock head design instead of doing a hemi head is a mystery. It's not like he didn't know the advantage. Staying stock stroke wontw be a short cut.

Search head modification/re-chamber to get a better idea of what this modification will do for you. Though I haven't done it (yet) it's $60 well spent.
    Reason I haven't done it yet is because I'm thinking of changing my engine up and removing the 3mil spacer plate and get the head cut and re-chambered at same time.

5. jus_me

jus_me Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Prob the best $60 you can spend on the blasty imo.

bummer981 likes this.
  6. 06BlackNpurple

Ok I see what you are saying. I am getting in touch with Ken today so I can get the ball rolling.

jus_me likes this.