Beginner ATV rider who needs HELP!

Beginning

Sep 29, 2019
I been wanting to buy a quad for a long time so I recently bought a Yamaha Blaster 200. I didn’t want to wait and rushed buying it. I bought the quad off of OfferUp. The guy said it needed a piston and rings. I didn’t know what I was getting myself into and bought the quad for $850. I put the new parts in and the bike doesn’t run still. I’m 15 years old and I’m just mad at myself and the guy who sold it to me knowing that there was more problems with it. My mom wants me to go to the cops but I want to build it. Should I put more money in it and take a lose or go to the cops.

I been wanting to buy a quad for a long time so I recently bought a Yamaha Blaster 200. I didn’t want to wait and rushed buying it. I bought the quad off of OfferUp. The guy said it needed a piston and rings. I didn’t know what I was getting myself into and bought the quad for $850. I put the new parts in and the bike doesn’t run still. I’m 15 years old and I’m just mad at myself and the guy who sold it to me knowing that there was more problems with it. My mom wants me to go to the cops but I want to build it. Should I put more money in it and take a lose or go to the cops.

All in all you got what you wanted. A quad. I was offered 450 for mine when it didn’t run. Chose to stick $1200 into it and 2 months of my own time learning more about it and waiting for parts/tools and now it runs 10x better than when I bought it for 1k more than a year ago now.

make it a project.

did you check compression before you re-did top end?

did you gauge the cylinder or have it bored/honed to know what size piston you were going to use? Or buy Chinese top End kit off eBay?

lots of resources on here. Use them. You’ll have it going in no time.

Get a Clymers Repair Manual. Or find the PDF download on here. I prefer the book because it also gives tips on how to do things.

Don’t worry, very few on here can say they never got a bum deal.

Cops won’t/can’t do anything because you’ve worked on it.