Bastard rear brakes

a502sl0

Dec 27, 2013
Ok well i bought my 1st quad and i have a 01 blaster. It did not run or have brakes. So now it runs and starts and is very smooth, but no rear brakes. So i took the rear brakes apart and the caliper is sized. Cannot get the piston to go back in. so can someone help me id the parts. ie where to get a rebuild kit and brake pads. I am not racing this is to run my fence line only.
Thanks Damian

IMG_20140115_213245_020.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20140115_213253_638.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

the brake line attachment and bleeder screw location appears to be the same as the banshee/03+ blaster caliper, which is a common swap.
you can also check the configuration of the brake pads to those on ebay for a second confirm.
does this caliper still have the factory emergency brake cable hook up, or a block off plate ? (seen in the pics below)
i have seen swaps onto blasters use the 2 e-brake mounting holes for mounting to the bracket ?
you don't show a pic from the chain side.

here's the ebay search i did to veiw pics...........
banshee rear brake caliper | eBay

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
If its an 01, someone must have changed that over to a hydro setup???? Can you take a few more pics like both side views? Brake kits & pads can be found on any reputable atv parts supplier. Rockymtn, motorcycle superstore, and ebay are a few I use.

If its an 01, someone must have changed that over to a hydro setup???? Can you take a few more pics like both side views? Brake kits & pads can be found on any reputable atv parts supplier. Rockymtn, motorcycle superstore, and ebay are a few I use.

Yup. Looks like somebody made a bracket. I would like to see pics of the brake pedal, master cylinder, and right side peg.

1. Is that bolt one that allows fluid to flow through it? It looks odd in that pic?

2. What is this bolt going into? There are washers spacing out the other one, but not any on this one?

Did you try backing the piston back in with a c-clamp? If the bolt I maked as 1, is a soild bolt, That piston will not move since the fluid has no where to return to.

Maybe take the caliper off of the brake line, and then attempt to reset the piston and clean up all parts.

Hope that helps.

If you can get the bleeder off, use compressed air to push the piston out. Use an old pad as a backer. If it comes out, use scotch brite pads to clean the piston and fresh brake fluid to reinstall it. Or get a rebuild kit.

Thanks just did that and it was a rusty mess in there and the slides where nasty. Cleaned it all up, anti seize and water proof lube on slides. new oring/seal and will put back on tonight, bleed then go for a road test.

Thanks just did that and it was a rusty mess in there and the slides where nasty. Cleaned it all up, anti seize and water proof lube on slides. new oring/seal and will put back on tonight, bleed then go for a road test.

dont use antisieze, use brake grease on the slides, antisieze doesnt like the heat from brakes and becomes gummy and will stick very quickly.

Its prob going to freeze back up if you don't put a block off plate on there.

The way its mounted, a blockoff plate may be to thick. But I don't know. A block off plate and a proper mount for the caliper would be ideal.

sorry guys i feel like a fool for asking, but where and who can i buy a block off plate from and the correct mount. I would rather buy from a vendor on here or memeber then Ebay. rather pay alittle more support the people that support us then ebay

sorry guys i feel like a fool for asking, but where and who can i buy a block off plate from and the correct mount. I would rather buy from a vendor on here or memeber then Ebay. rather pay alittle more support the people that support us then ebay

the way yours is mounted, i doubt just a blockoff plate will bolt on ?
they looked pretty thick from what i've seen ?

check with east coast atv, they used to sale a kit for mounting 03+/shee caliper to the pre 03 blasters, they had a sweet anodized billet bracket that mounted to the caliper blockoff holes, and blocked it off too.
i don't see the kits for sale on ebay anymore, as they wanted $100 more for them than my gsxr kits :)
and had heard if you call them, they would sale just the bracket ?
worth a shot.........

New and Used ATV Parts | East Coast ATV

Reactions: dirtysquared