Banshee front disk breaks conversion / install

axlehawk02

Jul 14, 2009
GI, New York
HI
the short story is im asking for what i need to do to make a 99 banshee front breaks fit my 02 blaster?

full story-I have an 02 blaster and my front drum breaks are total crap. i adj. them tight before every ride and after an hour they dont bite at all! so my friend is parting out his 1999 Banshee so i asked him for his front breaks. he wants $200 for everything- hubs includin rotors, calipers, pads, spindle up to ball joint, lines and handlebar lever. this seems like a good price cuz Freewhellin cycle near my house wants $900 for just Blaster rotors, calipers and the master! ... so can the hubs and everything just direct swap at the ball joint or not? if not what mods need to be done

yes i have searched and this all the info ive seen. it is very confuzing for me tho...
youi can put shee brakes on teh blaste spindles for teh drum brakes.. there used to be a forum that had a how to on doign this mod BUT.. it; been goe for years.. luckily i remember some of it.. i know thre is a spacer that needs to be made to keep teh hub away form the spindle body then teh caliper mounting brackets must be fabbed as well.. it's alot fo work BUT.. that was all bbefore 2003 when teh balster got hydro front brakes anyway.. banshee splindels WILL NOT WORK... balsters upper ball joint uses a "pinch bolt" on the top ball joint at the spindle. banshee have reg old tapered ball joints that fit into a machined taper in the spindle with a castle nut.. and since yamah made the ball joints so you cant; replace them.. no worky worky...

Banshee spindles can work,on a stock setup or with aftermarket a-arms such as burgard etc.Both my blasters run shee spindles and the shee front brake setup.One has burgard ext a-arms the other is the ex riders link and suprisingly it has held up very well.
ATV Riders Forum - How To: Convert Blaster Drums To Hydro Disks

Hydraulic Front Brakes

yes i have searched and this all the info ive seen. it is very confuzing for me tho...
youi can put shee brakes on teh blaste spindles for teh drum brakes.. there used to be a forum that had a how to on doign this mod BUT.. it; been goe for years.. luckily i remember some of it.. i know thre is a spacer that needs to be made to keep teh hub away form the spindle body then teh caliper mounting brackets must be fabbed as well.. it's alot fo work BUT.. that was all bbefore 2003 when teh balster got hydro front brakes anyway.. banshee splindels WILL NOT WORK... balsters upper ball joint uses a "pinch bolt" on the top ball joint at the spindle. banshee have reg old tapered ball joints that fit into a machined taper in the spindle with a castle nut.. and since yamah made the ball joints so you cant; replace them.. no worky worky...

Banshee spindles can work,on a stock setup or with aftermarket a-arms such as burgard etc.Both my blasters run shee spindles and the shee front brake setup.One has burgard ext a-arms the other is the ex riders link and suprisingly it has held up very well.
ATV Riders Forum - How To: Convert Blaster Drums To Hydro Disks

Hydraulic Front Brakes

http://www.blasterville.freeservers.com/frontbrakes.htm -ok the link is good

370 is just expressing how he wouldnt trust the mod. Ive ridin a few blasters with banshee and warrior converted brakes and spindles. The link you put up the second time is to make your stock spindles work with hydros, ive never seen that one done tho

having a bolt clamp the ball joint in from what i see looks very unsafe. i would just look for the stock parts used from a newer blaster. if that bolt loosens when you are riding you are gona be in a world of hurt

370 is just expressing how he wouldnt trust the mod. Ive ridin a few blasters with banshee and warrior converted brakes and spindles. The link you put up the second time is to make your stock spindles work with hydros, ive never seen that one done tho
370 is expressing that he doesnt trust the way a guy made a banshee spindle work on a stock blaster arm. running banshee front brakes is def a +. you can use everyhting (safely) froma banshee except the spindles. find a set of 03+ blaster spindles then its pretty much a direct swap. banshee front hubs are the same bolt pattern as a blaster.

that whole modifying the shee spindle to work on a pinch bolt blaster arm, probly not a good idea. and 200 is a bit much for the brake setup...for 200 he better be giving you the complete, front and rear. and even then its a bit much. thats my $0.02

having a bolt clamp the ball joint in from what i see looks very unsafe. i would just look for the stock parts used from a newer blaster. if that bolt loosens when you are riding you are gona be in a world of hurt
he has the right idea.

you can use all the banshee parts except the spindle. buy 03+ blaster spindles. i just said all this....but yeah...what i said...its all safe and good....better than the sh*tty stock blaster stuff

while i do normally think that moddign apart to wor on another machien is VERY cool.. sometimes there is a safety factor involved.. and i just don't see that being a viable option for a safe front suspension.. 3 ways to do it..

aftermarket a arms and use the banshee style uper ball joint and spindle.. then everything just bolts on..

03-up spindles.. everything just bolts on

use the stock pre 03 absnhee spindle.. machine teh spacer for the hub, build the mounting brackets and set everything up..

but personally i woudlnt; mod the banshee spindle to have the wierd bolts into teh groove method for holding the upper a arms into the spindle.

while i do normally think that moddign apart to wor on another machien is VERY cool.. sometimes there is a safety factor involved.. and i just don't see that being a viable option for a safe front suspension.. 3 ways to do it..

aftermarket a arms and use the banshee style uper ball joint and spindle.. then everything just bolts on..

03-up spindles.. everything just bolts on

use the stock pre 03 absnhee spindle.. machine teh spacer for the hub, build the mounting brackets and set everything up..

but personally i woudlnt; mod the banshee spindle to have the wierd bolts into teh groove method for holding the upper a arms into the spindle.
this is the best and safest way. its been said about 4 times...hahaha

Heres the scoop with the shee spindles..IMO I took all my parts and built a blaster for dirt cheap,got an 03 frame etc. etc. I always had seen this link about the shee spindles and figured what the hell for a $20 pair of spindles.So I did the mod to them and wanted to see if it was a good method.I'll agree it doesn't so called look the safest visually.But let me say it has held up very well for me.This blaster I did this to is just for winter storm snow rides,a spare for friends and family to use when I go riding,and for beating around the house with the kids.I would not do this for mx,racing,jumping,etc. But for the everyday trail,woods,normal bashing machine and you want to save money it is a decent way to convert the fronts to hydros.Will I leave it that way forever,yes unless I find a deal on a set of 03-06 blaster spindles which are pricey,or if I come by a deal on some extended a-arms.As always it's the riders choice, but it has held up extremely well so far.

ok what im ending up doing is using the blaster spindle and making a bracket to hang the calipers on like the link i found earlier. my neighbor is doing the machine work to make the bracket safe (i trust him cuz he made the brackets to mount the racing seats in my car b4 )

as far as the $200 price tag.- its much cheaper than $900 for new store. and- i looked on ebay and craigs list for 2 weeks and never found ANY 03 and up break set up. especially not any $70 setup. and for $70 at the store was just new friggen cables- so for a $130 investment to have hydro disk its worth it for me. (btw my rear break doesnt work at all either and the pads are replaced)

IMO, they are totally safe and super easy to get to work ( lot easier then making brackets). ive been runnin the banshee conversion for about 1 year now and have never had one issue with the set screws coming out you just use alittle loctite and bam your done. i will add they work best with adjustable after market A arms and the best brake line to use is like a tusk or some other brand after market braided steel lines. thats just my 2 cents on this whole thing.