Banshee Brake bleeding???

TechBlaster

Just say NO to "Stock"
Aug 6, 2009
MY TOWN, PA
Okay, I have a set of Shee front hydro's on my Norman420 spindles, mounted up great, fit great, blah blah. I just HAVE NOT been able to get these bled right, for the life of me.

I have bled MANY of hydro's in my day, trust me, I build Porsche's for Christ Sake. BUT, these Shee hydro's just will NOT bleed out properly, no matter what I do I end up with a squishy lever that I can pull to the grip, and slows me down at best. Any tricks anyone has for shee brake bleeding?

Totally open to ALL suggestions, and remember, skip the 101, by all means... :D

Hey brutha, Best way worked for me was hooked up a vaccum pump and vaccum bleed them did the same with AWK's GXSR's been locking tires up ever since! Oh and make sure the nipple is pointed up to get all the air out if that still doesn't work I'd look into the master!

Vacuum bleeding huh? Seems a little overkill for such a small setup, but hmmmm...

yeah, I had issues with the AWK Gixxer as well, remove that biotch from the bracket, flip it upside down and it bleeds no probs!!!! I:I

These Shee's are a fuggin PITA though...

not familiar with exact setup, but if the nipple isn't highest point on caliper as mounted, you've moved it so that it is and still not bleeding properly??

Are you sure you have good seals everywhere??? Could the master be leaky?? one of the calipers?? maybe it's leaky just enough to suck in air but not leak fluid?? I take it you used new copper washers all around??

I jes bleed mine a couple months back. I did the whole monty with new fluid and all.
It took a while but was pretty straight forward? Have you tried getting some good fast hard squeezes in? The extra effort could force the bubbles out.
I spent what seemed like forever on the first side and then the second side went fast like in 5 minutes.
I had help from a friend too. His job was to open and close the nipple on cue.
Picture alot of me going "OPEN CLOSE OPEN CLOSE OPEN CLOSE".

not familiar with exact setup, but if the nipple isn't highest point on caliper as mounted, you've moved it so that it is and still not bleeding properly??

Are you sure you have good seals everywhere??? Could the master be leaky?? one of the calipers?? maybe it's leaky just enough to suck in air but not leak fluid?? I take it you used new copper washers all around??

yeah, seals look great, no leak, copper washers new, nipples sit upright higher then rest of cali, etc, etc, etc...
Do they get bled one at a time or both together as they share that same split line???

I jes bleed mine a couple months back. I did the whole monty with new fluid and all.
It took a while but was pretty straight forward? Have you tried getting some good fast hard squeezes in? The extra effort could force the bubbles out.
I spent what seemed like forever on the first side and then the second side went fast like in 5 minutes.
I had help from a friend too. His job was to open and close the nipple on cue.
Picture alot of me going "OPEN CLOSE OPEN CLOSE OPEN CLOSE".

I hear ya Paulie, and yup, fast repeated squeezes, had the step son even trying the open close method, etc, NO changes, just squish at the lever...
I am keeping the fluid up high and all, tried gravity bleeding, tapping the master, you name it.
There is air trapped in there fuggin somewhere...

there is air trapped in there somewhere, prolly in the master itself, it will seem like it's bleeding, but still mushy, try bleeding it by cracking the banjo bolt at the master, open/close just like a bleeder, then move on to one side line, crack the banjo bolt at the cali, and bleed the same open/close method, then on to the caliper bleeder itself.
and like paulie said, once you get one side, the other usually goes smooth, pointing to the air was in the master/lines/splitter, once you get that out, the cali's fall right in line !!!!

i've also started pulling the line at the cali and submerging the line into a cup full of fluid and just pump away, it will push and pull fluid both directions till you see no more bubbles flowing in the cup, just fluid being pushed around
get the lines bled and the cali will follow

i've "pieced" together 3 systems using various parts and norm's spindles, every one of them were a pita to bleed, way harder than rears ????
vertical lines versus horizontal ????

and also......contrary to what most auto mechanics will tell you, i've had these not ever bleed with the rezzie cap on,
IT MUST BE OFF AND KEPT FULL AT ALL TIMES !!!!!!

Try bleeding the master first (as sugested) car brakes are easy because the master pushes a lot a fluid but the bike ones are harder.
Could you flex lines be shot ? are they new ?
maybe they are expanding ?

Do you actualy see bubbles ? or is it just the soft feeling?
maybe you have to rebuild the master

Nuno

there is air trapped in there somewhere, prolly in the master itself, it will seem like it's bleeding, but still mushy, try bleeding it by cracking the banjo bolt at the master, open/close just like a bleeder, then move on to one side line, crack the banjo bolt at the cali, and bleed the same open/close method, then on to the caliper bleeder itself.
and like paulie said, once you get one side, the other usually goes smooth, pointing to the air was in the master/lines/splitter, once you get that out, the cali's fall right in line !!!!

i've also started pulling the line at the cali and submerging the line into a cup full of fluid and just pump away, it will push and pull fluid both directions till you see no more bubbles flowing in the cup, just fluid being pushed around
get the lines bled and the cali will follow

i've "pieced" together 3 systems using various parts and norm's spindles, every one of them were a pita to bleed, way harder than rears ????
vertical lines versus horizontal ????

and also......contrary to what most auto mechanics will tell you, i've had these not ever bleed with the rezzie cap on,
IT MUST BE OFF AND KEPT FULL AT ALL TIMES !!!!!!

AWK, good info, did not even know I could crack the banjo at the master on these, gonna try it out tonight. if not, will do the line off the cali in the cup deal, see if I can find some air to push out.

Thx much for all the feedback guys, good data here, will report back...

Good info folks!

Totally Concur.
This place just gets me all warm and fuzzy... I:I

Will report back with more data when I have it. Have not had time to fark with it further, but looking to order the rebuild kit anyway, for peace of mind, at minimum...
Can't hurt, as i bought the front hydro kit used, might as well...

But great bleeding info/techniques, Fo Sho.
Many should be benefiting from this thread, thx guys!!