Ballpark Jetting

wwholden

Nov 17, 2011
Dayton, Ohio
Im getting close to finishing my build an will be needing to order jets soon for my carb. I have a keihin PE 28mm. Elevation is about 750 ft here in Dayton Ohio. I know that the stock main jet is a 230. I know that I will have to do a plug chop but I would like to have an assortments of jets ready. I would like to know what jets I will be needing. Also what pilot should I be running, and what needle clip setting should I have. Is there anything else im missing for the PE carb?

All mods are in sig, except I wont be running an air box lid and a DIY port job (polished exhaust port, cleaned up transfers, and a little work on the intake bridge).

Im having a hard time finding jets for the PE above 230. Looks like it takes a 99101-357 size main jet and a N424-21 for the pilot jet.

Last edited:
I cant find any jets larger then 230!!!! I thought stock was a 230. Or is Keihin sizes different from Mikuni?

Last edited:
Im getting close to finishing my build an will be needing to order jets soon for my carb. I have a keihin PE 28mm. Elevation is about 750 ft here in Dayton Ohio. I know that the stock main jet is a 230. I know that I will have to do a plug chop but I would like to have an assortments of jets ready. I would like to know what jets I will be needing. Also what pilot should I be running, and what needle clip setting should I have. Is there anything else im missing for the PE carb?

All mods are in sig, except I wont be running an air box lid and a DIY port job (polished exhaust port, cleaned up transfers, and a little work on the intake bridge).

Im having a hard time finding jets for the PE above 230. Looks like it takes a 99101-357 size main jet and a N424-21 for the pilot jet.

The stock jetting for a PE 28 is not 230 (that is for a stock mikuni carb26mm), it is 125 and 40 pilot(slow jet), the needle is 46-LGN and the slide is a 2.0 cut. A bigger carb doesn't mean a bigger jet needed! 8-|

You are correct for the part numbers for the main and slow jets however.[99101-357 size main jet and a N424-21 for the pilot jet] The slow jets go from #35 up to #80 the mains go-#80-#230
Never ran one of those carbs no help on where to start-Sorry

Here is a link to Sudco, suppliers of parts with all the keihin info you can dare to read! For your carb, pages 62-63-64, 65, 66, 67
http://sudco.com/Catalog36Digital/

Thanks for the info slick! From what I read off of Keihin's website they show that the PE and the PWK share the same type of main/pilot jets. The part numbers are the same. So if someone knew the ballpark jetting for my scenario for a PWK then it should be simliar for my PE?

PE is keihin right? if so, the jets will be different to the Mikuni. unusual carb and not used too often as far as I know what made you choose it over a PWK28?

PE is keihin right? if so, the jets will be different to the Mikuni. unusual carb and not used too often as far as I know what made you choose it over a PWK28?

I got a good deal on the PE. Yeah its a Keihin but it takes teh same jets as the PWK so they should be rather the same.

Ok, well if it helps the YFZ450 uses the same jets as the PWK's, and use big sizes, so it may help looking for some of those. They are numbered in the hundreds and not two hundreds, EG: Im running a OKO30 which used the same jets as the PWK, and YFZ's and im sitting with 165 in there now, but the stock 26mm Mikuni uses a 230 main, I was running a 330 main on the old carb, same motor so you can see the difference in the numbering scheme here. So looking bigger than a 230 for a PWK jet is like looking for hens teeth, you aint gonna find any. look for something along the lines a 150-165. anything in there should help, but I know nothing about how that carb behaves.

i think you were a bit confused and nobody knew what you were meaning by the numbers.

As for pilots, something between a 45 to a 55 should do it, but like I said, I dont know how that carb flows, so it may need smaller/bigger jets than the OKO. But the figures ive mentioned should put you in the field

Yeah my numbers were off in the first couple of posts. I didnt know there was a sizing issue between the two makes of carbs. Still accepting any other advice on jet sizes.