Bad pickup coil, send halp!

Banzai

OK, so I dusted off my ancient blaster that I've had for about 16 years so my g/f's oldest can ride it.

Anyway, after spending most of the day in the shop, the shop manual tells me I have a bad pickup coil.

stupid question alert!
is the pickup coil part of the stator assembly?
if so I'll get one from ricky stator and a puller as well.

here's what it's doing:
stock plug, idles ok but won't stay running regardless of how i dick with the carb.
off idle is aright but then it bogs real bad.
I have thrown every jet that I own at it to lean it out (the plug is telling me to lean it.) nothing.
i can get it up to sixth gear and it barely pulls, kick down to third real quick and there's no fire in the engine at all until revs come back down some.
I tried a BR9ES (racing plug, one step colder than stock) and that made it worse. then I tried a W27ES-ZU (same sort of plug, diff maker) same thing as before.
so i pulled it back into the shop and threw the shop manual at it. did the checks and it comes up as a bad pickup coil.
Does that sound right? I have already dropped some coin on this thing and it's really pissing me off.

I have some two stroke race motors, so tuning it is no problem for me.

So experts, pickup coil or something else?
(also where in the hell is the pickup coil!??!?!)

Re: Bad pickup coil, send help!

So this blaster has not been started in 16 yrs maybe rings sticking if not cdi box.

well......
It was started a few years ago (3 or 4?)

I was ridable before i started dicking with it, rode it last weekend in fact.
I have changed carb and reeds since then engine wise.
the rest of it was fixing the brakes, rear axle bearings, a-arm bushings, etc..

One of the stock reeds was starting to fray, so i got new ones.

I followed the troubleshooting procedure in the shop manual, and it tells me that I have a bad pickup coil.

Can anyone tell me where in hell the pickup coil is on a blaster?

the pickup coil is behind the flywheel opposite side of your lighting coil.

So it's part of the stator assembly then?

I made a few phone calls this morning, swapping from the stock carb to the keihin pwk28, apparently there's a plug you have to unplug.

So whatever you have to do when you put a TORS delete carb cap on, I guess i have to do that, other than unplugging the three wire connecter that's under teh front cover near steering stem, what else is there?