back-firing

^^Yup! Was it running OK before it needed to be rebuilt? Clean fuel? Clean carb? Carb cap on good and tight? Good reeds? Tight electrical connectors throughout? Is the flywheel key intact? All things to check...

It didn`t back-fire befor I redid the topend, The rings and top of the piston melted so I figured while I had it aprt I put everything new in the top, I didn`t touch anything else except for the carb got a rebuild also, and I`m breaking it in now and on the second or third ride it started the back-firing, and I also noticed a little smoke from where the exhaust pipe meets the head, could that be just a loose nut

So did you find the source of your original top-end melt down? Sounds like you probably had an air leak or the wrong jetting....or both.

I guess what I'm saying is....if you didn't resolve the original problem that caused the first melt down then you may be dealing with the same issue.

I had some backfiring issues on my old engine. I had an air leak around the reeds. Get a leakdown tester from holeshotman or make your own and make sure you don't have a leak. If you did the whole top end it could be head gasket, jug gasket, or somewhere in the reeds. Also check the reeds. Make sure you don't have any wires from the harness grounding out anywhere, pipe is a popular place for that to happen it will burn through the tape and wire coating if the harness isn't tied up properly. Also if you are jetted wrong it can cauase backfiring. Put a new plug in and do a plug chop (guess you can't really do one on the break in cycles). It could also be as simple as changing the current plug.