Axle carriers

Grunt13

Dec 11, 2020
So I have my bike taken apart right now I just found out it’s a 2002 from 88 blaster , and I took the swing arm off and rear axle off as well the axle didn’t want to come apart so now I’m replacing the whole thing .. this is my question I took it apart because I need a wider axle and a longer swing arm , there are different answers everywhere , what axle carrier do I really need to get the wider axle 03 and up has a different carrier I’ve heard , but I’ve also hear you can buy a banshee axle and it would fit also ?? Should I stay with my year carrier for my bike or will it all fit either way bearings and all ?

All carriers will fit all swingarms, 88-02, 03+ blasters and even the banshee carrier will fit with a couple washers as spacers, the latter 2 will allow and require you to go to hydraulic brakes, as the 03+ blaster and banshee both have the bracket for hydro calipers. the cable caliper will not bolt up, and vice versa.
unless a hydro swap is in your plans, heat and beat your axle out of your carrier, replace the bearings and seals and put a banshee or aftermarket axle in it, both wider than stock. pay no attention to brake disc splines being slightly different, the caliper will hold the disc in place.

Reactions: Grunt13
All carriers will fit all swingarms, 88-02, 03+ blasters and even the banshee carrier will fit with a couple washers as spacers, the latter 2 will allow and require you to go to hydraulic brakes, as the 03+ blaster and banshee both have the bracket for hydro calipers. the cable caliper will not bolt up, and vice versa.
unless a hydro swap is in your plans, heat and beat your axle out of your carrier, replace the bearings and seals and put a banshee or aftermarket axle in it, both wider than stock. pay no attention to brake disc splines being slightly different, the caliper will hold the disc in place.
My plan was to take off the rear break and just do hydro brakes ,, but do the 03 axle carrier and run the banshee denominator axle in it .. I did a +4 swing arm , and I already order the bushings and bearings for the 03 blaster carrier . So I’ll be ordering the sprocket holder and the axle carrier on Thursday when I get paid .. will the BANSHEE AXLE fit right into the 03 axle carrier ? On the denominator website it says that it fits banshee and 03 and up ??

My G-force/Tusk axle came with a set of spacers and clips that allowed it to fit in any years carrier, blaster or banshee, hydro or cable, I don't know about other brands ?
the only difference I saw was the way it sealed on the brake side, for cable brakes the collar is machined onto the 88-02 axles, for hydro brakes the collar is on the brake hub and slides into the seal, as it is held in place on the axle, not floating like a cable brake disc.

I noted some of that experience here...........
https://www.blasterforum.com/threads/g-force-tusk-axle-install-info.50655/

My G-force/Tusk axle came with a set of spacers and clips that allowed it to fit in any years carrier, blaster or banshee, hydro or cable, I don't know about other brands ?
the only difference I saw was the way it sealed on the brake side, for cable brakes the collar is machined onto the 88-02 axles, for hydro brakes the collar is on the brake hub and slides into the seal, as it is held in place on the axle, not floating like a cable brake disc.

It seems really confusing because I don’t want it not to fit and have to send it back and then wait to get my money back ... how much wider was the tusk axle and where did you get it from ? Did it fit right in or did you have to add the spacers and everything ? Did it come with directions ?

The tuck is way cheaper ,, than the denominator , so if it’s wide enough than I’ll buy it . I know the blaster stock axle is about 36 to 38 inches stock , can you measure and tell me how many inches your axle is ?

Reactions: Awk08
The tuck is way cheaper ,, than the denominator , so if it’s wide enough than I’ll buy it . I know the blaster stock axle is about 36 to 38 inches stock , can you measure and tell me how many inches your axle is ?
Sorry TUSK / g force axle

Reactions: Awk08
It's wide enough, my bike is in storage unit right now, it's just a tick under 50 inches wide from outside of tires, and barely fit in my Ranger, a little better in my Colorado.
currently running Maxxis Razr 2's on stock banshee rims and stock hubs.

the Tusk is adjustable width using the provided spacers, +3" to +6" depending on if you run the spacers in front of or behind the hubs.

fit.jpg

It's wide enough, my bike is in storage unit right now, it's just a tick under 50 inches wide from outside of tires, and barely fit in my Ranger, a little better in my current Colorado.
Maxxis Razr 2's on stock banshee rims and stock hubs.

View attachment 35179
That looks awesome !!! And this is without spacers correct I’m
Not going crazy with being wide but I just want to make sure after talking to you I’ll be buying the tusk axle from Rocky Mountain I’m pretty sure .. I will get back to you as soon as all the parts come in if I have any problems !! Thank you for all your help !

No that's with all the little spacers on both sides behind the wheel hubs, as wide as it gets .... +6" over stock :D
I think there's 2 spacers per side a 1" and a 1/2", the splined area is way longer than stock so + 1-1/2" spacers on each side = 3" extra over the already 3" wider than stock, or put them on the outside so the axle nut jambs them against the hubs and reduce the width to 3" wider than stock. hence the "adjustable" in the name, if that makes any sense

No that's with all the little spacers on both sides behind the wheel hubs, as wide as it gets .... +6" over stock :D
I think there's 2 spacers per side a 1" and a 1/2", the splined area is way longer than stock so + 1-1/2" spacers on each side = 3" extra over the already 3" wider than stock, or put them on the outside so the axle nut jambs them against the hubs and reduce the width to 3" wider than stock. hence the "adjustable" in the name, if that makes any sense
Either way I’d rather save the money ,, how hard was the install ??

Either way I’d rather save the money ,, how hard was the install ??

read that thread I posted above, decide what brakes and carrier you plan to use, read that thread again, then again. then follow the Tusk directions and my drawings in that thread to get it right for your application, it will literally fit any combination of blaster/banshee carriers and hydro or cable brake scenarios.
do not put the cup spacer on with the c clip on the brake side and then find out it's wrong, I had to cut the damn thing off and order new, once that cup washer is on over the c clip, it's almost impossible to get it off, get it right the first time and the rest is easy peasy

read that thread I posted above, decide what brakes and carrier you plan to use, read that thread again, then again. then follow the Tusk directions and my drawings in that thread to get it right for your application, it will literally fit any combination of blaster/banshee carriers and hydro or cable brake scenarios.
do not put the cup spacer on with the c clip on the brake side and then find out it's wrong, I had to cut the damn thing off and order new, once that cup washer is on over the c clip, it's almost impossible to get it off, get it right the first time and the rest is easy peasy
This might sound weird but because I have to order the 03 carrier and my breaks won’t fit ,, I’ll be taking my rear off until I can afford the hydro brakes ,, will that make the install easier ?

I’m going to put the disc on so everything lined up ,, but it does look a little tricky .

Are break disk the same on the 2000 and 2003 plus ??

the caliper itself has nothing to do with the axle install, the brake disc does and they are not the same
you'll need the complete 03+ disc and hub to match up with the hydro caliper, space it correctly for the caliper, and the bearing seal built into that hub

I don't think so, that cup washer/clip on the outside of the brake disc makes a difference between cable and hydro discs, and once it's installed is almost impossible to remove to rearrange it for the different brake discs.
as stated above, I had to cut it off and order e new one to switch from the hydro setup my axle came to me used, to the cable brake disc I ran with my GSXR hydro brakes.

the caliper itself has nothing to do with the axle install, the brake disc does and they are not the same
you'll need the complete 03+ disc and hub to match up with the hydro caliper, space it correctly for the caliper, and the bearing seal built into that hub
I’m going to save myself the headache and just put on the parts for the 2002 back onto it , I couldn’t get any parts apart without damaging things so I’m buying fresh new parts luckily the only parts that are different on the 03 plus axle carrier is the oil seal for one side :)

I don't think so, that cup washer/clip on the outside of the brake disc makes a difference between cable and hydro discs, and once it's installed is almost impossible to remove to rearrange it for the different brake discs.
as stated above, I had to cut it off and order e new one to switch from the hydro setup my axle came to me used, to the cable brake disc I ran with my GSXR hydro brakes.
Okay okay I got it all down now , but I will be okay if I just use everything for the 2000 year and stay with the cable breaks .. I’m buying the tusk axle new .. will I run into any cutting issues .. I’m not understanding why you had to cut it I’ll reread again ..

the schematic you posted above is for pre 03 axles/brakes, I could tell right away by the rubber seals on both sides of the brake disc
03+ the inner lip of the hub goes into the bearing seal and I forget if it uses an outer seal at all ?
look up 03-06 schematic, I think you just need the disc and hub, maybe an outer seal
the new tusk axle will have the rest