Astral's Stock Blasty Overhaul

Astral

Jun 16, 2011
My Blasty Overhaul Project(Stock Year 2005)

Oil Injection Block Off
Emergency/Parking Brake Removal
TORS Removal
New X-Chain
New 13 Tooth Front Steel Sprocket
New 40 Tooth Rear Steel Sprocket
(Two) 4-115 Rear Hubs
(Two) 4/156 ITP Steel Wheel 10x5 2.0 + 3.0 Black(Fronts)
(Two) 4/115 ITP Steel Wheel 9X9 3.0 + 6.0 Black(Rears)
Banshee Axle
Kenda Kutter XC 22x7-10(Fronts)
Kenda Kutter XC 20X11-9(Rears)
DMC Exhaust System
A2 Spark Arrester
V-Force 3 Reed Valve
Engine(Wildcard or O'Connor, depends on shipping)
Aggressive Trail Port
Head Machining
Triple exhaust porting(If needed)
Star Shift Mod
PWK 35MM Air Stryker
CFM-Performance High Airflow Air Box
Uni Air Filter(Part #UP-6245ST)
Front YFZ 450 or Banshee Shocks
Rear 400ex Shock
Fly Racing Aluma-Steel Handle Bars
Fly Racing Grip-Lock Grips
AC Racing Swing-Arm Skid Plate
Tusk Comp Series Aluminum Front Bumper
Cascade Thumb Throttle Extender
XGX Racing Mech Blue GraphiX Kit
American Star PRO X Racing A-Arms +3+1

Ideas I'm Not Sure About:
Wiseco ProLite Piston
Extended Swingarm
Works Shocks
Bigger Top End

I can't do everything all at once but when I do something I'll update this post with pics and what I did to it. Then it will be a before and after picture book :).

Last edited:
Looks like an impressive list.

Some advice. You may want to consider 20 inch rear tires. Combines a good mixture of speed and top end. And the case porting will not be needed unless you get a larger stroker. You can tell your builder you want boot ports (boyeson ports?) and/or triple exhaust, but I think most stick to normal as it performs very well.

Looking forward to seeing the build! Definitely keep us updated and ask any questions you need. I:I

I was trying to find some 20 inch rears as most people on here have recommended them but I can't find any. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places lol.
EDIT: I think the Rims and Tires Match now, and if I did it correctly it is 22" on the front and 20" in the back.

Last edited:
If you switch down to a 20 inch rear, your 44 tooth rear will gear you up so high you will only have a theoretical top speed of 54mph at 9000 RPM. If you can get up to 9500, youll go 57, which is stock blaster speed. But you will also be shifting more and spending more time at high RPMs to make your power, which puts more stress on your engine, especially the bearings on a 2 stroke. Oh and BTW, an easy way to get 20 inch rears is to get yourself a set of rear Warrior, Banshee, YFZ450 (and I think even Raptor) rear hubs, and get stock Banshee or YFZ rear wheels with tires. I got my banshee rear wheels and tires for like 79 dollars on ebay. The tires have like 90 percent tread on them. Theyre in good shape. I love the 14/40 gearing with those tires.

I personally think with porting, head mod, etc, types of breather mods, you should go to the other end of the spectrum with your gearing. Id personally run a 14/40 to start, and see if you have any bogging issues down low. I like gearing that puts you in your powerband longer, assuming you have powerband to use, that makes your engine less peaky to make the power.

Just my .02. Heres a cool gearing calculator you can use to help figure out where you wanna be that I made for the blaster guys (man I wish this thing would get stickied already)

Gearing Calculator

If you switch down to a 20 inch rear, your 44 tooth rear will gear you up so high you will only have a theoretical top speed of 54mph at 9000 RPM. If you can get up to 9500, youll go 57, which is stock blaster speed. But you will also be shifting more and spending more time at high RPMs to make your power, which puts more stress on your engine, especially the bearings on a 2 stroke. Oh and BTW, an easy way to get 20 inch rears is to get yourself a set of rear Warrior, Banshee, YFZ450 (and I think even Raptor) rear hubs, and get stock Banshee or YFZ rear wheels with tires. I got my banshee rear wheels and tires for like 79 dollars on ebay. The tires have like 90 percent tread on them. Theyre in good shape. I love the 14/40 gearing with those tires.

I personally think with porting, head mod, etc, types of breather mods, you should go to the other end of the spectrum with your gearing. Id personally run a 14/40 to start, and see if you have any bogging issues down low. I like gearing that puts you in your powerband longer, assuming you have powerband to use, that makes your engine less peaky to make the power.

Just my .02. Heres a cool gearing calculator you can use to help figure out where you wanna be that I made for the blaster guys (man I wish this thing would get stickied already)

Gearing Calculator

That Gearing Calculator is good stuff. I got to play with that alot more. Only reason I was going 44 was cuz I hardly ever reach top speed anyway but now that I think about it I'm just gonna get enough snappiness by the engine mods themselves so I should gear for more speed.

Alright, I FINALLY did something on my list. I took off the parking brake :). I had messed it up replacing a bent clutch lever a while back and it never worked right again. All I need is a block-off plate for the back hydro and I am good to go. However my build is gonna be another month or so off because of repairs. It cost $450 to replace all the filters in the gas tank, repair my carb, and fix a engine air leak. It runs great now though :). My next mod idea is to get a banshee axle and extend the back.