are vforce3 reeds worth it?

dirtrider604

Nov 14, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
i know there are some other threads on this but i still wanted to get some clarification... is it worth the $148? does it really improve throttle response and horsepower that much? are they easy to install? how often would the reeds need replacing? do you have to re-jet? and if you do have to re-jet, what jet size and brand would you guys recommend? any help is appreciated.

heres some info on my 01 blaster's engine mods: paul turner pipe and silencer, uni air filter, and its currently in the shop getting the compression problem fixed. im also pretty sure its been re-jetted but i dont know what size jets

An improvement over stock yes...however, after I paid for mine I was disappointed for the $ vs. gain factor. May need a small jet change, they are carbon fiber petals and are fairly durable. I would check them every season at least for wear. Installation is strait forward. Stock carb uses mikuni jets....

First of all dont spend 148 bux for them. You can get em cheaper on ebay shipped to your house. There not bad reeds but you wont be saying Daaummm these make me fast. Just throw some boysen dual stage reeds in for 40 bux and call it a day if you really need reeds.

Last edited:
Vf3s will give a little more performance but dollar for dollar, boysen dual stage reeds are the best bet.

If money is no option go for the Vf3s.

right on man..ok its got the gold series fmf fatty and fmf power core2.
Im including a pic of the old reeds,they are obviously damaged,what does this hole in the reed cause in performance?
I am changing them,I just want to know.
I think Im going with the boyesens for now.i dunno.

judging by the pic,are those stock reeds?

sorry,forgot to upload.

Attachments

• old reeds.jpg
    old reeds.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 261
I know when my buddy switched from stock oem reeds to boysen dual stage reeds he picked up a lot more power. Dual stage are the way to go. Anyone know what to look for to see if its time to change reeds? Or is it just something you change on a basis like the oil?

that chip is definitely a problem!

boyesen reeds are a good budget option! I had no problems with the ones that I had in my bike

right on man..ok its got the gold series fmf fatty and fmf power core2.
Im including a pic of the old reeds,they are obviously damaged,what does this hole in the reed cause in performance?
I am changing them,I just want to know.
I think Im going with the boyesens for now.i dunno.

judging by the pic,are those stock reeds?

Woodwardspecialties on here sells VF3 as cheap as any ebay, If ya send him a link to them he will match it! Paul is a good dude!

BTW- no pics

I know when my buddy switched from stock oem reeds to boysen dual stage reeds he picked up a lot more power. Dual stage are the way to go. Anyone know what to look for to see if its time to change reeds? Or is it just something you change on a basis like the oil?

a lot of times when the reeds go bad it'll backfire through the carb, and you'll have issues getting it started and with idle. if you think that you're having an issue, pull the cage and make sure that the petals are laying flat, and sealing properly.

sometimes you can get away with flipping the petals over to seal them back up to get by for a little longer.

I paid 40 bucks for my radvalve an i noticed a little bit of a differnence better throttle response.. i cant see me dropping 150 bucks in a reed cage save up a little more an get a port job imo

I really don't pull the cage off unless I'm doing some troubleshooting, and it's necessary. Really don't have a "time frame" so to speak! I:I

I did the VF3 with open lid and uni filter I noticed gain but not a big diff I was more excited about how smooth it was in and out of the power band.

I got an FMF set up with a stock carb at 32.5/260 so I matched a low/mid pipe with mid/top reeds and the opposite with Boyesen pro series reeds with my toomey pipe on the other blaster. With my toomey/boyesen PSR reeds I noticed a hell of a lot crisper revving an a lot less studder from a dirty carb but like I said I cleaned out my carb pretty well and it's jetted spot on with 148 main/50 pilot in a 30mm OKO carb. Now it sounds like a beast and it's not even close to ported.