Anyone use a flow meter

liftedf250

Jan 24, 2012
central ca
I was just wondering if anyone uses a flow meter for checking for problems. I have a flow meter that is used for dialing in carbs, mainy dual or quad carbs for sandrails. I use it on my banshee to get the carbs sync together. I have also used it to see if there is a flat spot in the power. Just wondering if anyone has used to check for problems on a single carb motor and how. Maybe another trick in our arsenal to keeping them running good. Please post your method.

It goes in opening on carb. I start bike and place flow meter over carb opening. I then slowly open throttle and watch flow meter to see if needle constanly moves up or if there is a pause or slight drop. A pause could be stiff or sticking reeds and a slight drop could be carb settings or to weak reeds or broken reeds. It take a little while to learn how to use and read these properly. I started out using these on the sand rail I had with no reeds. Makes a little easy to learn before using on something with reeds.

from what i gather, the meter shows how much vacuum there is? how then does this relate to jetting? can it detect changes in fuel mixtures, ie. lean spots so on the needle between 1/4 and 3/4 throttle?

then again, even if it could, testing without load is useless. you would need to use it on a dyno