anyone had a cdi unit fail? symptoms?

2strokesmoke

Jul 13, 2009
scotland
has anyone had a cdi unit fail? i mean what will the symtoms be if it does?
also as ive stripped my wiring down to minimum. ive got black/red, green/white, white/red, black, going to the cdi ive earthed the black from the cdi ands the black from the staor to the frame. ive got orange goin to the coil. coil bolted to the frame. then ive got a black/white wire for the kill switch but not got it plug in.
is that all i need to run it? its a 2004.:-/

No, no ground at the coil. The black wire at the coil just grounds to a bolt that holds the coil to the frame.

Theres people on here with extra CDI boxes you could pick up one on the cheap if you want to see.

Lets just say its more likely your stator failed than your CDI box.

Yeah, sorry. I got you.

I was clarifying. There isnt a ground wire in the harness the coils ground connects to. It merely grounds on a frame mounting bolt.

I said that so the OP doesnt spend all day looking for a coil ground like I did when I started troubleshooting my electrical system, and mine was hidden underneath the coil and I didnt see it till I removed the damn thing.

thanks guys, no brando ive not looped the tors wires just left them cut back an inch or so from the cdi box what should i do with them???

which ones tho? haha ive got a yellow and black that the manual says is for the tors, and a green and yellow that the manual says is for the parking brake.

reading the manual it says the tors is the yellow wire with a black trace, on both tors switches they have the yelllow/black wire and a black wire which goes to earth. should i earth out the yellow/black wire then?

no not the yellow/black, the green/yellow

if you don't it'll allow spark while kicking (so you'll think you have it while testing) but won't keep going when the motor is actually running

nice one brando mate im guna give that a shot in the morning its nearly 11.30 at night here if it does start doubt the neighbours will be as pleased as i am with an f7 pipe. fingers crossed. ill let you know.

you sir are more courteous than me.....i'd be so excited i'd be running to the garage to try it! lol