Anyone got a spare CDI

Budget_Blaster

Dec 25, 2009
Illinois
Ok went for a ride today after dinner and the new blaster runs awesome so good in fact it towed mine home!!!

I lost spark half way home and it died out and wouldnt hardly run or rev then wouodnt start at all.Towed it home with the gf's blaster and did some diagnostic work swapped her cdi box to mine and found out i got a bad cdi box with hers on it she fired up and ran like a champ.anyone got one theyre willing to part with cash is tight after building this other blaster.

Any reason why this thing would of just went out like that???

Ok this is weird but here it goes...

I put the gf's cdi on mine to see if i could get spark along with a new plug and she started right up and ran great.

So i put mine on her blaster and it fired right up as well with my cdi on her bike wtf?

I then went to pull the tether switch on mine to kill it and it didnt die got the old dvom out and found out i had a bad ground can that cause these cdi boxes to not fire?I cleaned all the connections and its running top notch now.

Do these boxes have intermittent issues or can i chalk this up to most likely a bad ground?Kinda paranoid to take it out again have to be towed in again.

Well rode both of them yesterday for a good 15 miles each out in the woods and to some friends houses out in the sticks and neither of them gave me a lick of trouble with the cleaned wire connections and new fresh grounds so im guessing that was the problem???

A bad ground will do it! The solid black wire coming out of your CDI box is the ground for it, and if it comes loose, you can have issues with either no spark or no ignition kill. Same goes for a bad connection at the black wire with the white chaser, which is your ignition kill wire.

SO, since you found the bad ground and you haven't had any more issues, I'd say she's fixed! Go have some fun. I HIGHLY doubt you'll have any more issues. The electrical problems which you need to worry about not having fixed are those which come and go and yet can't be readily explained. Since you've found the bad ground, you likely fixed it right then and there.

To be doubly sure clean the male/female connectors and add a dab of dielectric grease to them, and to all grounds after they are clean/bare.

Haha, well at least it was just an electrical problem. Could have been worse. Nothing blew up this time around...

No, what's really bad (or funny, as the case may be!) is seeing a fully-built Honda TRX 450r (with a 542 kit) being towed back to camp. Happened at Busco this year. It saw some butt-kicking action....by a Banshee. Lol.