All Of A Sudden Blaster won't stay running????

05BlasterManiac

Feb 22, 2012
New York
Hey all. Haven't been on the forum in a while. Well, I have had my Blaster for a while, it's an 05 I think and it's totally stock. Nothing is upgraded besides the needles in the carb cause I didn't have Blaster needles so I put in Banshee ones in. Never had a problem and that was a year ago. The atv was recently tuned and ran GREAT! It ran so good and I brought it to my friends house yesterday. We ran it and it was fine. Then today I ran it and again, it was fine until my friend left the gas on while we shut it off. It was sitting for about an hour or longer and there was a gas stain under the quad. I took it out and it started right up, but I noticed on the street in 2nd gear, I'm gunning it and it's like going no where. It was so slow and usually it HAULS. Today it was a really humid at first and HOT, high 90's. Then it rained which made it cooler, but very icky kind of. So I thought it was flooded. I'm like alright. At first I could say I drained the carb and motor by putting the fuel off and in neutral giving it gas to drain it a bit. I then put it back on, some what better. After that I let it sit for like 20 minutes. I tried to start it, took at least like 12 kicks and I had to give it gas. I drove it in the dirt, still running sooo crappy, wanted to shut off any second I had my hand off the throttle. I stop, held the clutch in and reved it a bit, I heard major banging from the motor as if something was in it kicking the insides wanting to get the freak out. It was LOUD. I stopped, gave it gas and it was VERYYYY smokey; Like a lot... Still, ran like crap. I let it sit for like 30 min. Went to put it back at friends house from trails and impossible to start, the thing was bogging, jerking back and forth in second gear taking off as if the motor wants to shut off. It was so BAD. I finally get home from friends, start it after like 20 kicks, had to use choke and same thing. Shuts right off without gas, doesn't want to idle, hear major banging sound from inside like RINGGGGGGG which is me pressing gas and the bang DING DING DING DING DING and stalls. I have no idea what it could be. It is all stock, I am going to need to buy a new air filter cause it's on it's way out, but I even cleaned it a few weeks before. Please let me know,

Thanks!

I would say its more than reeds. pull your plug and look at it. I would also pull the carb and intake to look at that piston through the intake port.

possibly.....
the bottom end is filled with fuel and is hydrolocked

pull the pipe off the cylinder, and either :

stand it on the front tires and kick the sh*t outta the kicker
or...
tow it behind another quad, in like 3rd gear, for a few minutes

ignition off, plug out, gas off, and holding the throttle wide open
to clear the bottom end of the excess fuel laying in there

then i'd suggest a leakdown test to insure the crank seals are still intact

Alright thanks all. This is what I was afraid of, but it is what it is. Iwill start with checking the reeds or carb first cause that's the easiest then I work my way forward.

Probably a broken piston skirt! Same thing happened to me about a month ago, take your carb,intake boot, and reed cage out, then look at your piston to see if pieces are missing. Push your kick starter SLOWLY down if your piston is not at the correct height to inspect it.

Just guessing as I cant hear the sound of it.

If you had to use the choke to start it, and It could have been hydro locked, may be the flywheel has spun just a little and advanced the ignition some, hence the TING, TING, TING.

I may be barking up the wrong shrub, but I would be taking off the flywheel and checking the woodruff key.

It may also pay to do a leak down test to see if the seals have not been popped out.

That would also cause detonation from a too lean a mixture.

Just guessing as I cant hear the sound of it.

If you had to use the choke to start it, and It could have been hydro locked, may be the flywheel has spun just a little and advanced the ignition some, hence the TING, TING, TING.

I may be barking up the wrong shrub, but I would be taking off the flywheel and checking the woodruff key.

It may also pay to do a leak down test to see if the seals have not been popped out.

That would also cause detonation from a too lean a mixture.

Sorry to be stupid, but how do I do a leak down test, replace the gaskets and seals and check if they are blown in the motor?

The only stupid thing is to not ask questions, thats what the majority of the guys are here for, to help.

14mqc1y.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, I tore down the blaster. Cleaned it, took plastics off, gas tank, air filter, filter box and air boot. Now gotta clean it again cause it is FILTHY on top chassis then going to post some pic. Ill prob encounter some probs on way so stay wit me lol. I appreciate the help. By the way I'm 13 and I do this crap