air scoop help

89blaster89

Aug 26, 2011
Pacific northwest, washington
i got some air scoops off a member here a while back and there custom made air scoops and i love them but right where the bent down tab is that bolts to the frame is cracked, there made outta thin aluminum i think? anywways can aluminum be welded? not much of a welder

It can be welded but I would just make an L bracket and bolt it on.make sure to use fender washers to help spread the load out to a larger area. That will reduce stress cracking.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but you guys seem like you might be able to help me. I got some CFM scoops for Christmas, but I can't figure out how to mount them because they didn't come with instructions. I bought the quad without front fenders and it looks like the bracket that held them was sawed off. Do I need to fab something up or do the mount to a different point?

I don't mean to hijack this thread but you guys seem like you might be able to help me. I got some CFM scoops for Christmas, but I can't figure out how to mount them because they didn't come with instructions. I bought the quad without front fenders and it looks like the bracket that held them was sawed off. Do I need to fab something up or do the mount to a different point?

i believe the cfm's did indeed use the fender mount,
if yours are missing ?, you'll need to fab a bolt on replacement or weld new ones on

Thanks AWK, I was afraid someone was going to tell me that. I thought 89Blaster89 had the CFM's until I saw this thread, that is why I asked for them 8-| Is there a way to post photos here? I took some pics of what I'm working with and I'm not sure what the stock mounts are supposed to look like.

I'm in Silverdale. I bought the Blaster for my girlfriend because I have a CRF450 but I'm not gonna lie, I've been having a lot of fun with it : )

Here's what I'm working with:
f993p.jpg

1079u0l.jpg

I usually ride Green Mountain, Tahuyeh (sp?), Mason Lake, Straddleline and a few other local spots. We also try to make it to the Oregon dunes a few times a year and are planning a trip to Moses lake. Where do you ride? Btw my vote is that you have your scoop welded, it can't cost too much and the set looks sick.

I have the CFM air scoops and yes they need to be mounted to the stock from fender brackets and bolt the long brackets to the rear of the upper a arms

Here is where the bracket goes to the back of the upper a-arm nut/bolt
1988E8C7-8DB6-4403-A36B-4269774B5ABE-1483-000000A2393A7E3F.jpg

And this is where it mounts to the upper fender bracket
A9B3A62C-D92A-4D8F-A9EE-7AF2E5B2F89C-1483-000000A240A7D09E.jpg

Sorry if the pics are to dark, you may have to bend by hand once everything is tight to fit, especially for the upper fender mount.

Cool, thanks for the help guys. I got lucky and found a nice front bracket for $16 on ebay that has been carefully cut off of the frame. I will fab something up so I can add and remove shrouds and fenders without a sawzall or welder as soon as I get it. I'll post pics here when I'm done. 89: How is Coos bay? I usually ride Florence or Winchester bay, I tried Sand Lake once but it was a little too flat for my liking.

I got my bracket in the mail today. I ground the tabs off of it and mocked everything up, now I just have to decide whether to hose clamp the bracket for easy removal, weld it and make it permanent, or fab something custom to put the scoops exactly where I want them. I really want to get a Maier race cut hood but it's going to be a while before I want to drop $160 on it.
I went riding last weekend and discovered my front pipe mount (the rubber one)was broken. It is going to be a week or so before that part comes in so hopefully I will have this all sorted by then.
29goqjl.jpg

2s9w45h.jpg

qx8awo.jpg

e703uf.jpg

97shg9.jpg

I already posted this in another thread but here's some pics because this is the the first place I came for help. I ended up bolting that bracket on with stainless bolts and nylocs in case I ever decide to take it off, here is how it turned out:
2isvy39.jpg

14tn24j.jpg

mh9dlj.jpg

210x7op.jpg