Air Box Cover Mod for those who hate dust in their engine...

JPMartin86

Apr 14, 2009
Worcester
I have read a bunch a bunch of peoples post debating if its a good idea to remove the air box lid. As we all know the air box is fairly restrictive with its 2"x1" air passage. Well i decided to do a little mod using a 2002 Chevy Cavalier z24 air filter. And this is how i did it.

I first traced an outline around the paper part of the z24 air filter while on top of the blaster air box lid. Keeping in mind the location of the seal around the bottom side of the air box lid.

pic1.jpg

I then drilled a hole in each of the four corners and cut out the stencil.

pic2.jpg

The z24 air filter fits snug inside the newly cut air box lid.

pic3.jpg

pic6.jpg

After i sanded the edges that i cut to make them smooth and strait i drilled 4 more holes to secure the air filter to the air box lid. For the time being I used small zip ties to hold the air filter in place. Eventually I will make a bracket to hold it in place.

pic4.jpg

The finished product.....
What do you think?

pic7.jpg

pic5.jpg

That looks pretty sick. How's it working for you? And if you don't mind me asking where did u get those monster graphics. They look sick.

Last edited by a moderator:
is it still running as strong or does it weakn it since not as much air is getting to it? but thats a hot idea

is it still running as strong or does it weakn it since not as much air is getting to it? but thats a hot idea

If you take a look at a stock air box lid youll see that the air intake port is sooooo small. So small that it actually suffocates the carb of full potential air flow. This gives people 3 choices for improvement, ( A ) Remove the air box lid ( B ) Replace the air box with an aftermarket one, ( C ) Remove the air box all together. These 3 choices have their pros and cons, obviously option B would probably be the best but a lot of us are limited on funding and look for cheap and easy mods. Now with any of these mods you will clearly see a difference in throttle response but it is a must that you re-jet. With my mod its just a different twist to option A, there are some skeptics (me being one of them) that believes removing your lid will make your quad more prone to have dirt particles pass the air filter and we all know that gets expensive. Thats why i added an air filter to my modified air intake port, the filter will collect extra dirt particles due to the larger space for air to flow.

good idea now get a k&n for a cavalier and put that in your airbox lid, plug off the intake tube and remove the stock filter, bam lots of flow and filter area

yeah, damn what caused your clutch to break like that??

Well when i took it apart one of the sheared bolt heads that holds the pressure plate to the clutch boss was completely different from the four. So i figure the guy who had it before me installed a clutch himself used the wrong bolt and didnt tighten it correctly eventually over time came loose, got stuck on the clutch cover and destroyed my boss and pressure plate. I also found one of the bolts that holds the oil pump in place still in the oil pump area from when he did the block off kit. So needless to say im in the process of a bottom up rebuild.

Im not sure yet i still need to order the bolts, i have the boss and pressure plate coming in soon tho. I know ill be using some loc-tight tho hahah

yeah it worries me now i just replaced my clutch and couldnt remember what to troque the bolts to so i just cranked them tight

looks good im just double wrapping my K&N filter :-D ( with a filter wrap.. wooot)