aftermarket air cleaner setup

Welcome to the Forum! That carb on your Blaster is a Mikuni VM-series. (Round slide). Its impossible to say for sure what size it is without measuring the bore, but it is likely a VM 30 (30mm) off a Polaris Trailboss/Trailblazer 250. This is a semi-popular carb swap for the Blaster engine, because the carb's larger bore size allows the engine to breathe easier, and the Polaris-spec jetting is close enough that it usually doesn't cause the Blaster engine to blow up.

That said, I would IMMEDIATELY take the carb apart and see what size pilot and main jets are in there. The jetting will be a little leaner than the recommendations for a stock Blaster carburetor, but you should still have about a # 30 pilot and somewhere around a # 220 main jet if I remember right. I had a Blaster with one of these carbs on it, and when I got it, there was a # 150 main in there. :eek: WAY too lean.

Point is, if you don't check your jetting, you may burn up your engine. Better safe than sorry.

Oh, and the best (and most cost-effective) aftermarket air filter setup is going to be a CFM airbox. I have one and like it. You can get them off ebay for about $ 90.00. Measure the inner bore of the outlet side of the carb (the side clamped into the intake boot) with a caliper or Metric ruler to determine the carb's bore size. Then just order the CFM box kit with that size (probably 30mm) air intake boot.

I will say that not many people run these Mikuni VM carbs as an aftermarket setup. The Blaster's stock carburetor is a 26mm Mikuni VM, but you gain snappier throttle response and slightly more accurate fuel metering with an aftermarket flat slide carb. If you aren't comfortable messing with an uncommon carb, you might want to consider replacing that Mikuni carb you have with a Keihin PWK 28mm unit. They are pretty cheap used (Ive seen them for $ 80.00 or so), work well, and lots of people on here have experience tuning them.

Unless you have a big-bore kit or wild (dune/drag) portwork on your stock cylinder, a 28mm carb will be all you need. It is a great compromise....not too big, and not too small.