after washing wont start

mr_3_0_5

Nov 21, 2008
in a small quiet town
ok guys so i washed the bike after a ride and now it wont spark.
its not on a blaster just seeing if you guys had any idea's
if i let the bike dry for a couple hours it will fire and run fine.
whatever is getting wet causes it to not have fire. I don't want to hit a puddle on a trail and this happen. any idea's?
I've checked the on off switch as well as the key switch both seem to be working fine. ive gone through all the plug ins and put greese in them to prevent water from getting in.

That happens sometimes to me.
If you don't have a plug or rag in the exhaust and water gets in there it will be hard to start for a couple of hours.

Here is a problem that WD40 loves to attack.

It is a dewatering fluid and sprayed on electrical components, will disperse the water.

If I ever do water, I spray it all over every electrical part.

I wash and wd40 the whole bike everytime I come back.
It will be nice and clean but wont run till tomorrow.. lol
what i also find weird is i can run mud and water up to the tail pipe and it will be fine its just when I clean it and spray it with a hose.
and no I cant just leave it dirty.. lol

You said you run deep puddles with no problems ? It must be an electical component that's stays above the water when you ride. I would try to determine what components they are and test them. Wait till its dry and running then soak each component one at a time with a spray bottle filled with water till you loose spark.

I would try a small spray bottle,squirt bottle etc and fill it with water.Spray one component at a time and try starting it. The repeat. Try to narrow it down to which component is causing the issue. Another good measure would be to buy a tube of dielectric grease and grease all connections. Just be sure to not get any grease crossed between 2 terminals as it is conductive.

sprayed each thing one by one till I found the culprit.
it was the spark plug boot. it was plastic and had a crack.
if i ran my hand down the wire it would hit me right where the boot bends.
If i sprayed it with water the bike would act stupid and not start.
put a new one on and I can spray directly at it and no change so she's good to go.
thanks guys.

sprayed each thing one by one till I found the culprit.
it was the spark plug boot. it was plastic and had a crack.
if i ran my hand down the wire it would hit me right where the boot bends.
If i sprayed it with water the bike would act stupid and not start.
put a new one on and I can spray directly at it and no change so she's good to go.
thanks guys.

Awesome!!!Works every time. If I recall you sem to need a spark plug boot in every machine.hahahahaha I remember hurling a plug off your old blaster before.I:I When it was the boot. lol

your right you owe me a plug.. lol
that is kinda weird ive needed plug boots on more then once.
just glad it doesn't shut off in the water it rains nearly everyday here in the summer.

Hey I replaced that plug as soon as it went hurling.lol Every time I go to FL for vacation it has rained every afternoon for an hour or so.It was nice while it rained to cool it off but then it got humid as hell!!!

i remember that plug hurling out into the sand :)
wish i had that on video !