Adding tach with shift light

Chrisdel2001

Apr 13, 2015
I have an 01 blaster and I want to add a tach with shift light, I don't want a tiny tach! I've heard that you can wrap one of the wires around the spark plug cap and just ground it and it'll work but I don't want to order the tach without confirming it. As far as the lights on the tach I was just going to hook up to the head lights so it turns on when I turn on the switch. Would this tach work?? http://m.ebay.com/itm/361029642273?nav=SEARCH

I have an 01 blaster and I want to add a tach with shift light, I don't want a tiny tach! I've heard that you can wrap one of the wires around the spark plug cap and just ground it and it'll work but I don't want to order the tach without confirming it. As far as the lights on the tach I was just going to hook up to the head lights so it turns on when I turn on the switch. Would this tach work?? http://m.ebay.com/itm/361029642273?nav=SEARCH
you will probably go over 8k rpms with a 2-stroke atv!

why a shift light? seriously though

Trust me on this one. http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/vapor $89 on amazon.com Your welcome!
have you had one? they are nice. although i had trouble finding a decent place to mount it... i had fat bars so it was a pain

I do have one,and my brother has one. They come with 7/8" and fat bar adapters.

you will probably go over 8k rpms with a 2-stroke atv!

why a shift light? seriously though

have you had one? they are nice. although i had trouble finding a decent place to mount it... i had fat bars so it was a pain
Honestly it's just for looks I just want a a real tach I am totally against electronic tachs even though they work good with a big lag I'm a fan of the needle and the shift light to look even more bad ass. All I'm asking is if it'll work with that set up. I've seen the trail tech before and I'm not a fan of it

You'd be a fan if you had one. Bar graph and digital readouts.I'd think if F1 and Top Fuel drivers can read this style it should be ok for us peons. You can add the cylinder head temp for $24. If your tach is chinese manufactured it will not hold up.

You'd be a fan if you had one. Bar graph and digital readouts.I'd think if F1 and Top Fuel drivers can read this style it should be ok for us peons. You can add the cylinder head temp for $24. If your tach is chinese manufactured it will not hold up.
This video is a guy installing on 4 stroke with a battery so he can put the positive and negative to the battery. In my case I was going to put the positive to the positive on the head light and the negative to either the frame or the negative on the lights and the same set up as him for the green and white wire

WOW! The guy that made that video is an absolute idiot. BTW, there's no way his tach is reading correctly.

Even if you could somehow get that tach to read correctly on a single cylinder 2 stroke (which I doubt you can), you would need to do a DC conversion and install a battery. The Blaster charging system is AC. Not gonna work.

WOW! The guy that made that video is an absolute idiot. BTW, there's no way his tach is reading correctly.

Even if you could somehow get that tach to read correctly on a single cylinder 2 stroke, you would need to do a DC conversion and install a battery. The Blaster charging system is AC. Not gonna work.
LMAO alright thanks man, I'll prob do the ac to dc because the rectifier and battery are only 100 bucks

So, you've done your research and know you need to float the ground on the charging coil on the stator, right?

Well most vehicles and atvs are different.

a car tach will probably read wrong on the atv

with the trailtech, because they are universal (mostly) there are different settings. .5, 1, and 2. when i first installed mine i had no idea what it meant. later i figured out that it had to do with the amount of sparks per actual firing of gas in the cylinder. with the blaster it had to be set on .5. a normal 4-stroke atv would be 1 or 2 im not sure. either way, you are going to have trouble with actually making it read correctly with a cheap ebay tach

Well most vehicles and atvs are different.

a car tach will probably read wrong on the atv

with the trailtech, because they are universal (mostly) there are different settings. .5, 1, and 2. when i first installed mine i had no idea what it meant. later i figured out that it had to do with the amount of sparks per actual firing of gas in the cylinder. with the blaster it had to be set on .5. a normal 4-stroke atv would be 1 or 2 im not sure. either way, you are going to have trouble with actually making it read correctly with a cheap ebay tach
Thanks for the info I guess I have no choice other than crossing over to the dark side of digital tachs

Thanks for the info I guess I have no choice other than crossing over to the dark side of digital tachs
not saying you cant make it work or even find the right tach. just pretty uncommon.

i suggest buying a vapor from their website. the $10 is piece of mind knowing you can get anything from them
hell i got an extra magnetic bolt because mine "didnt come with one" when i really snapped it haha

not saying you cant make it work or even find the right tach. just pretty uncommon.

i suggest buying a vapor from their website. the $10 is piece of mind knowing you can get anything from them
hell i got an extra magnetic bolt because mine "didnt come with one" when i really snapped it haha
Honestly the whole reason I'm putting it was for looks so when the power band it you see the rpms jump and the shift light would just look bad ass lmao

Honestly the whole reason I'm putting it was for looks so when the power band it you see the rpms jump and the shift light would just look bad ass lmao
i dont think anyone would ever see the liht except the rider.

and depending on how you ride, can change the rpm you shift at by a lot!
example high rpm: me riding in the road drifting dry tar - shift very high rpm
example low rpm: me riding away from the guy threatening to call the fuzz. (i wouldnt have stopped but i slid and almost flipped and it died)

i dont think anyone would ever see the liht except the rider.

and depending on how you ride, can change the rpm you shift at by a lot!
example high rpm: me riding in the road drifting dry tar - shift very high rpm
example low rpm: me riding away from the guy threatening to call the fuzz. (i wouldnt have stopped but i slid and almost flipped and it died)
Lmfaoo!! that made my night honestly