A few questions about my new blaster!

jumpo

Jun 11, 2012
Hello everyone!

This is my first post, I've just registered after finding this forum really useful while looking at quad bikes.

I bought my first real quad bike yesterday, a 2004 Blaster and I love it!

The only issues with it is this

Question one.
When the quad is started, and I turn the headlight on, the engine cuts out.

I've searched this in the forums and it seems to be wiring issues.

However! The bike did not come with the key, as the owner did not have it when he bought it, and so the key position is 'off'

Would this be the reason why the engine shuts down if the headlights are turned on as I read that the key controls all the electrical parts.

If it is the reason, how can I go about just removing the wiring from the key so that the quad thinks the key is always 'on'

Question two

The quad was awesome yesterday and I rode it for a few hours when I got home. Today however, it started fine and I let it warm up and after about an hour of riding, it is still having an issue with the rpms

It seems to be stopping itself at a certain rev amount when I'm moving and in gear. It revs fine when I'm in neutral or have the clutch in but when I'm in gear it just seems like the revs are getting locked off. I have tried changing the 'throttle limiter' screw next to the throttle but it doesn't seem to change anything.

The only thing I can think of which could be causing this, is that we filled it up yesterday with unleaded petrol, and after reading the manual today it recommends 'premium' which we didn't use. Could that small thing be affecting it's performance that greatly?

Thank you so much everyone I know this is probably a big post for a first timer!

Welcome to the dirt pile I:I :D

Easy to fix that problem. Drain all the gas out and fill with premimum, done I:I
Presume you still have oil injection? keep oil tank full at all times. :D

Welcome to the forum. I:I

Buy a leaktester and leak test that motor! One day you think your motor is doing alright and the next it goes BOOM! It will save a lot of headache.

The key only affects the ignition, and can be fooled to be on all the time by removing the plug from the ignition switch.

The key operates a circuit where open is , ignition on.

The other matter may require you to do a leak down test to see if the motor is air tight, if changing to premium does not work.

You do not need premium fuel in a basically stock blaster.
Take the hood off and unplug the keyswitch.
On an 04 I'd look for and disconnect the "tors" unit and the parking brake, as both act like rev limits when functioning/malfunctioning.
Both of those are "searchable" and have DIY's on here.
You do have oil in the injection tank under the seat ?

Thanks guys! I:I

Yes the 2 stroke oil tank is full.

I shall invest in the leak test kit. And i'll search for the tors unit info because that sounds like it could be the cause..

And yes I'm fairly sure the quad is just stock. There was already some fuel in the tank, I'm unsure if it was premium or not.

I had a muck around with the wires today. I disconnected both the wires running to the key ignition, and now the blaster keeps running if I turn the light switch on... But there is no light.

The previous owner told me that the key ignition didn't make any difference if the key was on or off, so I'm guessing that someone has mucked around with the wires before and messed it up.

I don't suppose someone has any pictures of where the wires should be running for the headlight? I'm no good with diagrams :p

only wires to the headlight should be the green and yellow from the switch in the bars, and a solid black wire as a ground
the killswitch on the bars should have a black and black/white stripe going to it to kill the motor when closed/connected