A-ARM help

As I told awk earlier, the distance from the inner pivot point to the shock mounting pivot point is not the only figure needed to make the lower mount the right shape.

You need the distance from the inner pivot point and the distance above a straight line drawn between the two pivot points. This is not the way to figure out maximum/minimum position and to maximize shock travel vs suspension travel... simply the measurements needed to properly mount a predetermined shock to a predetermined control arm for a predetermined amount of arm travel.

In this case, I have the measurements for stock suspension (which can be used safely for most any shocks but won't net the maximum suspension travel) and what I welded my arms to to get 8 1/2" of travel.

If you have the arms built and have everything in place, you can install the lower ball joint (leave two threads exposed) and hold a ruler up to the side of the arm to "draw" a line between the pivot tube and the pivot point inside the ball joint.

Measure up from the ruler 1 1/4" and remember that general area. Then measure out from the center of the pivot tube 6 1/2". Once you've got an idea of where the pivot bolt should be, you may want to cut some carbboard out to make a jig for the design of the "ears" that sandwich the shock. Once you have the general shape, you can work on the spacing.

I have the figures written down for the cross bar distance and length away from the pivot tube.

The cross bar needs to be notched at the same angles up against the front and back tubes to sit parallel to the pivot tubes. The length from the center of the notch to the center of the notch is 4 1/2". A side note, the HF tubing notcher won't do 4 1/2" without modification. I'll post that with pictures tomorrow...

Once the cross tube is cut to length, it slides down in between the front and back tubes for a snug fit. Once you have a cardboard cutout of the center of the shock pivot bolt, you can cut the cardboard cutout to match the cross tube until it fits together matching the measurements and then cut some of the .125" plate out to match the cross tube with a hole drilled in it at the location marked by the measurements. Those measurements should put the cross tube just slightly inside but almost directly under the shock lower mount at maximum shock extension and then slightly outside but almost directly under the shock lower mount at minimum extension.

Alright, got all that? good go make some arms!

I have to hand it to ya..You've put alot of effort into this project....right wrong or indifferant I gotta give ya props you can fab

civic, not fully understanding all them measurements and arcs your talking, but heres my plan, using the same mounts that came on the asr's, or at least keeping them the same height, shouldnt i be able to move them to the same distance out as mmj's
they're the same arm, using the same shock as he, i shouldnt have to do any figurin just go by mmj's

Well you have to make sure you don't change the height of the mount. If you make the mount shorter (closer to the tubes) but the same distance away from the pivot point you'll bottom your frame out before your suspension.

If you move the pivot point in but have it the same distance above the arms you'll bind a ball joint before your shock stops the suspension from travelling. Even just a 1/4" of difference in the shock mount position means frame bottom or ball joint bind, it's VERY specific.

Just to give you a general idea of how specific the measurements of the shock mount are, to get the full 8 3/4" of travel possible out of the joints, you mount the shock pivot point at 6 1/4" away from the arm inner pivot point and 1 3/4" above the pivot line, instead of measurements for stock travel with plus three arms: 6 3/4" and 1 1/4" , and the recommended measurements of 6 1/2" and 1 1/4" for about 8 1/4" of travel.

You lose nearly 2" of travel by changing the pivot point in two dimensions less than 3/4".

If you have a shock change and don't want to beat your frame off or blow a ball joint out, you need both measurements and they both have to be very specific.

Alright, for one of our final installment...

The stock tie rods are .540" OD with threaded holes M10 holes in each end, one regular thread and the other left hand thread. They are 9 3/16" long with a small crimped section in it to be able to adjust it.

The crimped section is VERY difficult to duplicate... so my plan is to weld a larger nut over the outside of the tubing by drilling the center out of a slightly larger nut to get it to slide over the tubing.

The tubing specified has an inside diameter is .313" which is about .025" smaller diameter than a M10 thread. The tubing needs to be cut to a total overall length of 12 3/16" and then the ends of the tubing need to be clearanced using a 8.8mm bit so it can be tapped. Once both ends are tapped out, it should be cleaned thorougly and then the nut slid down halfway and carefully welded onto the tubing.

There is an alternative which I flirted with using but it has a problem... You could order 9/16" tubing with a wall thickness of .120" cut to a length of 3". Both ends would have to be tapped with a standard M10 x 1.25 tap (it would save the expense of purchasing a M10L x 1.25 tap) and then find a piece of M10 x 1.25 threaded rod and cut it 2" long. Loctite 1" of the threaded rod into the extender and let it cure completely and then loctite the other end of the threaded rod and install into the straight threaded end of the stock tie rod. The problem is you can't torque the threaded rod down without scratching whatever finish there is on the extender. You have to hope that whatever torque that loctite can hold against is greater than the torque after that tie rod end is rusted into the end of the extender.

Despite that problem, you would only need 6 " of that tubing if you went the extender route and at $6.90 at foot plus shipping, it's something to consider if you're building yourself a set and plpan on painting the tierods after assembly. Scratches would be covered over by a layer of paint so it wouldn't be an issue then.

thanx bro, tryin not to threadjack, i'll keep an eye on what you said, and also these asr's have heim joints, not ball

Thank you Kgibson (despite not being made of money with the ability to buy the most expensive welder I could find) I thought through this project from beginning to end and have done the homework needed to do it right.

It helps I aspired to being an engineer before figuring out that I actually enjoyed DOING things instead of studying my entire life (or at least 6 years of it at $20,000 a year) and then designing crap in Autocad but never actually seeing any of it in RL.

It took me about 4 days to get all of the angles and measurements done on these.

That rock crusher I built took approximately 22 days to design and build once the bearings and shaft arrived. I have more work to do because the design was flawed and I have broke bearings out but instead of taking 6 months to design a design that wouldn't fail I got out and got dirty finding out what will fail and still have about 5 months and a week left to change what I've got into something that won't break.

I know this arm design works because I've already got a set under my blaster. I've already been out and beat the crud out of it... If something's going to break it's going to break on me first, and I'll come back on here and let everyone know what needs to be changed to fix it.

So you already have the MX pro series, less to worry about busting a ball joint if you make the arc height too high, more to worry about making it too low and having the frame stuff on a jump or big hill and flip you over the handlebars.

How long have you been running the heims? Do you have any slop in them from being unprotected from the elements? I thought about the heim route but it still scares me they don't have a grease boot to keep the joint from getting dirt in it and wearing out.

/\/\/\ if that was for me....i haven't even mounted the asr's with heims yet, they're sittin here with all my other parts waitin on my 06 frame to arrive
and if i didnt find these used for $125, i would have bought new LT"s

It was for you, but I assumed you had already been running the ASR arms for a while and were looking to upgrade shocks.

I like the high misalignment angles possible with heim joints and for a specific category of users the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. Relatively short service life but with way more possible suspension angles without bind. For people doing MX or desert racing, they need those qualities and will trade gladly.

For most of the people out there, the extra few inches of suspension travel wouldn't be worth having to change them out yearly (I'm assuming because noone has actually been able to give a timeline for replacement of heim joints yet)

Do some math when working on placing those lower shock mounts and you should be fine. You already have one of those measurements just sit down and work out the other.

Well look how clean you keep that bike! No wonder, you run it for a few hours with crud on it and then clean it off.

My quandry is that the polished "bearing" surface is exposed the whole time and there isn't anything to keep the grease on it and dirt off of it. As scratches form in the polished surface the pits will carry more lube out and more dirt in past the lip. Even a greasable heim joint will eventually succumb to it's damage eventually if it's not cleaned regularly.

For a racer, I can understand using heims and putting up with any problems they might come with but for most riders, the lifespan of the ball joints would offset the extra few inches of travel.

civic heres the measurements on my asr arms that were made for yfz 450 shocks would these bottom the frame if i put a stock length blaster elka shock in it??

004-22.jpg

005-20.jpg

Well look how clean you keep that bike! No wonder, you run it for a few hours with crud on it and then clean it off.

My quandry is that the polished "bearing" surface is exposed the whole time and there isn't anything to keep the grease on it and dirt off of it. As scratches form in the polished surface the pits will carry more lube out and more dirt in past the lip. Even a greasable heim joint will eventually succumb to it's damage eventually if it's not cleaned regularly.

For a racer, I can understand using heims and putting up with any problems they might come with but for most riders, the lifespan of the ball joints would offset the extra few inches of travel.
il agree with that and ive seen the ball joints that asr uses they seem to be pretty heavy duty i just dont like teh pinch bolt method the bl;aster uses thats why i run a heim with a banshee spindle

I can sit down and do the math tomorrow but the second measurement isn't exactly what I need.

You have to measure the height of the pivot bolt above a line drawn between the two pivot points.

Just from looking at the 7 1/8" measurement I would imagine that the arms are going to sit almost flat when the quad is unloaded and will be close to frame dragging at full compression with 14 1/2" eye to eye shocks with ~ 4 1/8" shock travel not figuring in for any bumpstops.

It took me 4 nights to measure and calculate the shock mounting position and ball joint angles for banshee shocks I had in my hand... It was a lot of math, scribbling, cursing, checking my math, and finally going out and working on parts until I had my arms in agreement with my numbers and then changing my numbers and arms to match what I was really getting in the real world.

I calculated the lower ball joint angle off slightly and the risky stator joint bound before the upper did. I had to trim it back out of the tubing and realign it before I could move on and only using the math, I figured I could move the shock mount in towards the frame some and take full advantage of the travel but I failed to take into account that while the wheel are straight the ball joints are pushed to one angle, when you turn the wheel, the ball joints rotate through an angled arc and load more than just the 22 degrees they can go bind to bind with the wheels straight which is why I said, to be safe, the lower mount shouldn't be any closer to the frame than 6 1/2". The closer in you mount the lower shock mount, the farther than same 4 1/8" of shock travel lets the wheel move up and down. If you're already banging away at a ball joint, you don't want more travel, you want better controlled travel.

If you are trying to keep the shock spring from clipping the upper arm tube or the frame from dragging in the middle when you bottom your suspension, you don't want your arms and shocks not to agree with each other outside of a narrow window of angles and distances.

my heims are teflon lined, no grease
and the measrements 442 posted are close to the 4 /12 mmj posted for me, i'm just gonna neatly grind that mount ears welds off, clean em up, have the bike supported on stock arms and shocks, tires touching ground, remove all the old stuff, install the asr's, mount top of shock with the ears connected to the bottom wherever they hit, thats where there getting welded, i do not want my ride height changed
these shocks are very stiff and doubt i'll be bottoming them, and believe moving them out a little will soften them some ???
plus they came with a bunch of adjusting collars

my heims are teflon lined, no grease
and the measrements 442 posted are close to the 4 /12 mmj posted for me, i'm just gonna neatly grind that mount ears welds off, clean em up, have the bike supported on stock arms and shocks, tires touching ground, remove all the old stuff, install the asr's, mount top of shock with the ears connected to the bottom wherever they hit, thats where there getting welded, i do not want my ride height changed
these shocks are very stiff and doubt i'll be bottoming them, and believe moving them out a little will soften them some ???
plus they came with a bunch of adjusting collars

awk u possibly interested in swapping lower a arms ?? im gonna put a set of elkas on mine

that would save us both a lot of hassle. and not void the lifetime warranties !!!!!