A-ARM help

you could jump on a diamond J shock relocator , you can find them on ebay , it will allow you to run longer shocks on the stock arms . cheaper than a arms , but then again you get what you pay for .

I don't mind the idea of stretched a-arm but the idea of paying to stretch a-arms without replacable ball joints in it seems a little too "one-time use" for me.

SOOOOOOO, I ordered some 4130 tubing and plate and a complete set of ball joints. Next week I'm starting my new project...

I don't mind the idea of stretched a-arm but the idea of paying to stretch a-arms without replacable ball joints in it seems a little too "one-time use" for me.

SOOOOOOO, I ordered some 4130 tubing and plate and a complete set of ball joints. Next week I'm starting my new project...

Good deal bro. Only reason i have not made a set is because of cost of material which will run about 200 bux for the ball joints and steel. I figure it will take all day to weld em up if not more but i would like to see your progress when you start as well as a ton of others. How much were the ball joints?? Me and tater were talking about the cost yesterday and we both agreed that it might cost to much to really warrant makeing them. Please keep everyone posted.

i've thought about making them myself as well, but the cost has been a little prohibitive. but by the time i got the travel i wanted, and the camber change without caster change etc i think it'd be well worth it.

Well for making them to sell the cost of the material plus ball joints might be too high.

I purchased chrom-moly tubing and ball joints and the totals so far are: $113 for the tubing and plate(shipped), $80 for the joints, $22 for bushings, and $9 for miscellaneous items including wire to make brake line clamps and the pipe to make the upper ball joint mounts. I still have to get grease fittings so that's not figured in and I'm going to reuse the piece of pipe and the two caps off of each a-arm mount in my new arms using new bushings so that's a little savings...

I'm of the odd sort who would rather tinker with making a-arms rather than working and scrimping and saving to purchase. Just wierd like that I guess.... the value of the arms isn't in how many races I can win with it. Part of the value is the experience gained from working with the materials and designing my own suspension. Phragle be proud, your lesson has been learned.

Well for making them to sell the cost of the material plus ball joints might be too high.

I purchased chrom-moly tubing and ball joints and the totals so far are: $113 for the tubing and plate(shipped), $80 for the joints, $22 for bushings, and $9 for miscellaneous items including wire to make brake line clamps and the pipe to make the upper ball joint mounts. I still have to get grease fittings so that's not figured in and I'm going to reuse the piece of pipe and the two caps off of each a-arm mount in my new arms using new bushings so that's a little savings...

I'm of the odd sort who would rather tinker with making a-arms rather than working and scrimping and saving to purchase. Just wierd like that I guess.... the value of the arms isn't in how many races I can win with it. Part of the value is the experience gained from working with the materials and designing my own suspension. Phragle be proud, your lesson has been learned.

i feel the same way... cant wait to see some progress on this. I:I

I went and looked at a pipe notcher in person (from harbor freight) and I wasn't really impressed.

It looks like other brands of notchers but...cheaper. Good thing it is a lot cheaper...

I'm thinking about going tomorrow and buying it after thinking about it for the afternoon. The price difference between that one and the next least expensive one is huge.

I went and looked at a pipe notcher in person (from harbor freight) and I wasn't really impressed.

It looks like other brands of notchers but...cheaper. Good thing it is a lot cheaper...

I'm thinking about going tomorrow and buying it after thinking about it for the afternoon. The price difference between that one and the next least expensive one is huge.

yeah.. they work ok for what they are.. i think as long as you are not using them super hard everyday you will be fine.

I'm using ball joints because I'm not going for 12" of travel out of the front suspension... I opted for ricky stator lower ball joints and yamaha replacement ball joints out of a specific model, that for the moment, I'd like to remain a trade secret until I know that they will make the angles needed for extended (not long travel) arms. Once I know they'll work, I'll devulge the information in a build thread. I believe knowledge belongs to the masses (my home desktop runs linux) but I don't want to mistakenly lead anyone down a rabbit hole that leads nowhere.