98 Blaster wont start!? help!

yllalnad

Feb 3, 2009
hey guys whats up.
first ill list what i know is done to the bike and any info that might help you guys help me solve my problem.

compression is a hair over 120 psi
brand new b8es ngk spark plug
pro circuit platinum pipe with 304 silencer
k&n filter (just cleaned and recharged)
air box lid is on
premix 32:1 VIA ratio rite cup yamaha lube 2r
tors is still hooked up

now for the problem....

went riding saturday from like 12:00 to 4:00 bike ran fairly good for most of the day. towards the end i would notice a knock (almost like a spark knock?)everytime i let off the gas under a load. shortly afterthat it started popping and backfiring. so i shut it off for the day figuring it was the plug(didnt have any extras)

so today i put a plug in it and it started very easily. i let it idle for a few mins trying to get it to warm up so i could ride it and see how it ran. the bastard shut off while sittin there. after that it would not start! i kicked the shiznit out of it with no results. i was furious haha. ever since ive had this bike (couple weeks) ive noticed that ive had this no starting problem everytime it starts to get warm outside. the bike will start if someone push starts it however....
im stumped.
my guess would be jetting in the carb maybe? too rich and flooding out the motor?

i tried to post as much info as possible....

any ideas?

cmon guys... im stumped.
i sure hope there are some suggestions here when i get home from work haha.
i forgot to mention i slipped off the kick starter yesterday and destroyed the side of my shin! its all swollen hahaha

what is the color of the old plug, and unhook the tors, nothing but problems there, unless you are fouling plugs, could be something as simple as your spark plug boot, turn ur air/fuel screw in all the way and then 1.5 turns out,clean ur air filter,check jets,could be clogged, what sizee jets in it? sounds ur running lean, it usually pops when its lean, when was the topend rebuilt? did you do it? you might want to pull the head off and check your cylinder, piston and rings, you could also have what you call blow by, the rings are not seating right.

I got a 98 blasters with like 60 psi that won't start i need a new top end right?

Yup, that one's gonna need a new top end. Give Ken O' Connor Racing a call and he'll get you going again.

As for your running problem, start by checking all the easy stuff as mentioned and then check your jets.

Stock main jet is a 230. You'll need at least a 260 main with the Pro Circuit pipe (even with the airbox lid on). If the main jet is too lean, bump it up immediately or you'll fry the top end.

Get rid of the TORS. Its not that hard, and doing this may solve your problem.

Report back with more info and I'll see what I can do to keep helping! :D