'88 Blaster with weak spark

YBRmuggsLP21

Jun 18, 2011
Well, to start, I'm about 90% sure it's an '88.

Now, this four wheeler has been sitting in my parents shed for probably 10 years, but the first problem I want to tackle is the very weak spark. It has a new plug, and CDI box, (many years ago), but would still like to know how to test it if necessary.

Anyway, would anyone be willing to give me a list of possible contributors to a very weak spark and how to check them? I'm definitely not inclined in this sort of stuff, and most of the other threads I've read so far aren't specific enough for me. Like I said, it has a new spark plug, and I believe I read unplugging the TOR (right?) could be a factor. If the TOR is the box above the CDI with the yellow wires and whatnot, I tried unplugging that, and it didn't help.

Thanks

There is a downloadable factory service manual in the "general support" section. It has a section in it covering troubleshooting the ignition system. You'll need a multimeter to be able to troubleshoot it.

Sounds like a good project. Take LOTS of pictures

You know, I've looked at it, and to be completely honest, I don't understand and/or don't know where some of the stuff is exactly located, because they're not the greatest quality of images.

Could anyone explain how exactly to test the stator?

They started making the blaster is 1988.

There is a bundle of four wires on the left side of the quad near the carburetor. They should be ziptied to the frame right above where your left foot goes. There should be a black, black and red, yellow and red, and white and red.

The yellow and red is the lighting coil wire so not related to the ignition system...

You really should start on page 7-7 of the factory service manual and work your way through from there. If there is any confusion on where parts are located, the location guide on 7-6 should help out.

Roll the rubber isolator boot back onto the wire and then twist counterclockwise to get it to unscrew. The end of the wire should have a hole in the end. That's where you test the primary coil resistance at too.

So one of the readings for the stator should have been 192-288, or something, according to the manual, and I got a reading of around 189. Is that insubstantial enough not to worry about it, or is that little bit a big deal?

Thanks for all the help, by the way.

IMAG0001.jpg

Okay, so this is the wire attached to the coil. Did I break the wire when trying to take the boot off, or is this normal? If it's broken we might have something else to discuss, but I tested the boot and got a reading around 15 or so, when I believe it's supposed to be 4-6.