88-02 light help!

crusty4365

Sep 2, 2007
montgomery NY
i have a 2003 yamaha blaster..
i have the raptor style light wich i do not like because raptors/craptors make me sick. CAN I GET AN AMENNNNN!!! (btw il start a dif thread alllll about craptors later)
ok so im going to get the taurus V2 from project blaster but the problem is i trail ride alot and id hate to be lost at night out in the woods without a light.. so is there a way i can buy the fly bars with the cross bar to mount an 88-02 style headlight so i dont get lost in the dark and get eaten by lions tigers and bears!?=))

Have you considered getting lights like trailtechs or lazer stars instead? I got a cheap copy of them on ebay for about $40 that would be a lot easier to mount than one of the big stock lights, and would look better and put out more light. Really, the trailtech style lights can be mounted just about anywhere, even on the frame below the hood, on the shock mounts, bumper mounts, etc.

Well, I did this on a warrior, so it's not going to be exactly like your blaster.

But, you shouldn't have any trouble powering them, as you can get lower wattage bulbs that will run off your stock stator. You can just go to lowe's or home depot and get a couple 30 watt bulbs for them and it'll work fine with your stock wiring.

On my warrior I had mounted them on my bumper mounts, here's a couple pics. If you like these, let me know and i'll try to find a link to them. These are the ones I got on ebay.

3f6b72e41539e51ce5fb3d25399b06e3.jpg

44e5aa2acd909b47b206fd12a140a3cf.jpg

272b96572d781dcc85749885165bdf5f.jpg

Another option that would (in my opinion) look better than a stock blaster light, would be to go to walmart, advance auto, or any other auto parts store, and get a set of fog lights or driving lights for a car. You can get a cheap set for 20-30 bucks at most places. Then just use one of them, mounted sort of like the stock one is on the 88-02 blasters. It shouldn't be hard at all to make a simple bracket that you could bolt onto the steering stem. Just using one of these 55 watt lights wouldn't overpower the stator, and you'd always have that 2nd one as an extra if you rolled it and broke the light, the lens got cracked from flying debris, etc.

We did that with my cousin's old lt250r, which had a big square light just like the older blasters.

Not a good picture of the lt250r, but it's the only one I can find:
5a6b885129c9223178bf65347207a2ae.jpg

Here's the same ones I have

eBay Motors: CHROME LIGHTS YAMAHA RHINO EZ GO CLUB CAR GOLF CART (item 350017215261 end time Jan-27-08 18:46:51 PST)

If you get these, I suggest before you ride with them, take the end caps off, and put a few little dabs of silicone between the end cap and light housing, and put the cap back on. Because it's just steel locking into steel, and not real tightly, the end caps have a tendency to vibrate loose, at least mine did. luckily this happened when it was in my garage, and i was pounding on one of my ball joints, but the bulb fell out and broke. You don't want that to happen on the trails though, because you might not find the pieces again. I just dabbed a little silicone on mine and they haven't came loose since.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: crusty4365
All that you should need to wire them up is a couple butt splice crimp on connectors, and a couple of the wire tap connectors. Maybe a couple extra feet of wire.

If you don't know what I mean by those let me know and i'll get you a link to what i'm talking about. You can get the stuff anywhere.

Yeah, that's what a butt splice connector is. You could actually use those for everything, but you'd have to cut off the connectors of your factory headlight wiring. If you get the wire taps you can just splice into the factory wiring without cutting the plugs off. That way, if youy decide to put the stock light back on it when you sell the quad, or whatever reason, it'll just plug right in.

Just saw something you might be interested in yesterday. When I was at Walmart, in the automotive section, I noticed that they have the exact same lights there, for $15. That's about half of what they're selling for on ebay. You'll still need to get the lower wattage bulbs though, but you can save some money this way.

Reactions: crusty4365
yeah i just got my 240 kit and carb and other stuff... i owe my dad 650$ tho....... so ummmm yeahhh uh il def get those lights soon.
i think im going to get my taurus v1 plastic first that way i can mount the lights on that instead!

so lets see il need ummm 650$+185$+50$= more money than il ever see!

idk i gues il have to go back to selling freshmen .6's as grams for easy 10$ profit ahahahaha i love ripping kids off ahahaha hey if theyr dumb enough to get ripped off they dont deserve the money if u ask me lol